Sinister: I didn't mean to slag America off, just that ****ing film...

Gardiner, Stuart Stuart.Gardiner at xxx.uk
Mon Jun 11 12:20:36 BST 2001

Last Thursday, me and my housemates had a vote to decide which drinks to buy
from the supermarket. Out of the twelve of us, 3 voted for Coke and 2 voted
for Pepsi. Which means we're all going to have to drink Coke and nothing
else for the next 5 years. Of course, the rest of us would much rather have
a cup of tea instead, but that's democracy for you.

The other day, Sarah (I think) said:

>Only 9% young people voted (grrr).  Which means that 89% of young people
are saying they don't want a democracy.

Anyone spot the basic flaw in the argument here? ;-)

It is quite sad that the greatest political debate of our day isn't which
party to vote for, but whether to vote at all. But after the lowest turnout
in history, hopefully the politicians will realise they have to do something
about it. The decision by so many people not to vote could well strengthen
democracy in the long run.

I'm consistently amazed that after 4 years of Tony Blair, anybody at all
seriously believes that our current sham democracy is worth saving. Bolivia
is more democratic than Britain - at least over there if most of the
population disagree with and detest the leader, they can get rid of him
(admittedly they may prefer to do it with a sub-machinegun, but at least it
works...)

So has anybody except list daddy Linda been to see B&S yet? Where is the
usual cavalcade of posts describing what they played, what they wore and
whether Isobel's bum looked big in it? I think this listener apathy is
deeply damaging to our country, and going to concerts should be made
compulsory for all people over the age of eighteen.

Actually, I was mainly wondering if there is going to be a support band at
any of the English concerts, I haven't seen anything mentioned about it yet.

Speaking of concerts, is anyone going to see Pulp and the Tindersticks at
the Guildford festival on August 3rd?

Now that Napster has been shut down, it would be wrong of me to mention that
AudioGalaxy.com is still up and running, and Jonathan David has been on
there for 2 weeks, so I won't.

Big Stu

If I go shopping for a new pair of trousers and don't find any I like, is it
apathetic not to buy any?