Sinister: Space Boy Dreamski

Mark Hester mark_e_hester at xxx.com
Mon Jun 11 13:18:51 BST 2001

Dunoon gig sounded so good and much as I'm really, really looking to RAH,
there are certain advantages to these smaller venues, ease of getting hold
of set lists and so forth.  Friday night saw me, my girlfriend Emma and new
(soon to be ex-) Oxford listee Sarahsocks, together with her hedgehog,
watching Preston School of Industry, new band of ex-Pavementee Spiral Stairs
in the very small Point.  Sarah interviewed said Mr Stairs.  I contributed a
question and Emma brought along a dictaphone, so it amounted to something of
a joint effort.  Sarah avoided the subject of Pavement but Scott introduced
it himself, which was okay.  The absence of support act Creeper Lagoon was
compensated in a bizarre way by the band Oranger, Scott's backing musicians
for the evening, playing a set of their own.

PSOI impressed and depressed in turn.  Scott's a top bloke and it was
possible to see where the some of the rougher edges of Pavement came from
but I have to admit that it's all very much in the shadow of Mr Malkmus.

I hope to see the Foxgloves one day, in a loft or otherwise, if only to
shout out the titles of random Lloyd Cole song titles and gauge their
reaction,  "Jennifer She Said" is my favourite....

Just looked at the BBC website's Sci & Tech section, as I often do and I see
that Russian pop group Na-Na (oh!  them!) are planning to be the first pop
group in space.  Ah, but they're only doing a Dennis Tito and going round
and round, not going to Mars or anything important like that.....

Quite excited about Reindeer Section actually.  I think supergroups can be
fine, provided they don't leave it until the twilight of their careers a la
Traveling Wilburys.  What *did* happen to Volume Two?

Not quite sure how you managed to vote twice, Hannah....more details please,
I'm intrigued.......

mArk.