Sinister: sex, politics and religion

Rachel Playforth Something.Pretty at xxx.com
Tue Jun 12 03:57:48 BST 2001

:0(
i'm so ashamed.  my last message to the list apparently slipped through in
the ugly leprous attire of HTML.  the tart.  thought i'd try again today.
though, as so often happens in my life, the moment may have passed....

addenda to the following message (past and present are getting confused in
my mind now like in the episode of battlestar galactica i inadvertently
watched the other day because i didn't have my glasses on and got involved
trying to work out what it was):

Adrian - i too read Watchmen again straight after finishing it, and only
partly because i was on a train between glasgow and brighton with nothing
else to read... as for the gilliam film, it may ever remain a castle in the
air as i read that the cost of buying the rights is now estimated at a
million pounds (or dollars?) a page.

parentheses - this list is particularly keen on them i've noticed.  they're
great.  chiefly because they let you just keep going with as many
digressions as you want (and we usually want lots) without losing any of the
meaning of the original masterly point (if indeed there was any there to
start with).

oh, and more to adrian: glug is called glog i think.  i had it a lot one
christmas after friends went to scandinavia.  think it was the 'adult'
version...

finally, well, before i laboriously reproduce what i said last week, hugs to
ken pikachu.  you should move to brighton, where the girls are single and
the beach is... shingle.

more biblical paraphrases from gordon, please.  my biblical namesake's
husband jacob worked for 14 years so he could marry her - my kind of guy.  i
always feel kind of guilty around people called leah though, the older,
uglier sister who jacob was tricked into marrying after the first 7 years.
but then, rachel means 'ewe' in hebrew, which has got to be one of the most
unromantic definitions ever.

i saw a girl with a 3...6...9 badge yesterday, which isn't that common round
these anti-indie parts, i can tell you.  part of me thinks that to notice
such things, much less care, is a bit sad.  b&s are just another band, after
all, and you can't possibly make useful value judgements about people just
from their musical taste.  you can't, you know.  but on the other hand b&s
have been part of my life for so long, and they have come to 'stand for'
something, whether i like it or not.  sometimes i think sinister is a bit
like organised religion: an anchor and a comfort even to people who don't
truly believe in the relevant god any more.  is that a bad thing to say?

the japanese have a word 'amae' which describes that warm feeling of being
accepted, included and understood by a group of peers.  so rare, so amazing
when it happens.  sinister at its best moments can produce 'amae', i
suspect.  whether b&s can take the credit is debatable....

hm... an uncharacteristically reflective aside.

my friend (previously known in this context as bagpuss boy) could do a
wicked version of the pigeon street theme tune on his casio keyboard.  cooo
coooo.  i'm just gutted that my tendency to travel sickness has put paid to
me ever becoming long distance clara.  it just sounds like a porn name
now...

luv archel xxx

Rachel Playforth
'She may not be famous, but she's right' - Homer Simpson

For the best in new writing on the web, visit www.buzzwords.org.uk
Contact us on buzzwords at bigfoot.com