Sinister: Into the Land of the Infidel (Dunfermline)

Ian Nicolson imnicolson at xxx.com
Tue Jun 12 16:29:47 BST 2001

Not many people have been posting gig reviews so far (obviously far too cool
to do geeky stuff like that) so in an attempt to rectify this, and to make
everyone else jealous, and because I'm at work and therefore have nothing
better to do with the wonderous IT equipment here, I thought I'd try to
write something about Dunfermline last night. Although I am useless at these
things ('how was the gig, Ian?' 'Yeh, erm, good'), so you'll have to bear
with me and my failing memory.

It was with a spring in our step and a song in out hearts that we boarded
the train for Dunfermline, for not only did we have the excitement of seeing
Belle and Sebastian, but we also had to cross the Forth Bridge first. One of
our number thought that it would be fun to dive off it, until it was pointed
out that it was a notorious suicide spot. I think that put her off the idea.

The Carnegie Hall is a typical small-town theatre type place, with a balcony
and, er, a stage. And seats, of course. All of which seemed to be taken. I'd
imagine they have a pantomime there every year. We managed to set up a
little Sinister enclave before choosing to sample the glittering delights of
Tiffany's Cafe Bar (candles! drink! hurrah!) and I managed to miss the
Uptown Shufflers, which was a shame. I think. From what I could tell (which
admittedly isn't much, as I didn't see them at all) they'd probably make
more sense in smaller places like Dunfermline, than they will at the
Barrowlands, say. But what do I know?  Lollipops were kindly supplied by two
lovely young Sinister girls.

When our heroes came on Stuart claimed that they were all a bit tired. Three
nights in a row is maybe a bit too much for the poor little petals, but I
can't say that it really showed, apart from maybe a couple of missed lines,
and a bit of an arsed up segue from 'The Boy...' into 'The Fox In the Snow',
which he had to start again. The set was pretty much the same as Dunoon,
except they missed Like Dylan in the Movies. The bastards. At their little
break bit they seemed a bit confused as to what to do. I was half hoping,
given the venue and everything, that the Great Suprendo (pif paf poof!!)
might come on, but they ended up playing Time of the Season, complete with
lovely tongue clicks and aahs from Sarah and Isobel.

Again they seemed fairly relaxed on stage, making jokes and stuff, none of
which I can really remember, cause I'm hopeless. They said something about
the Two Ronnies at one point, and Chris showed off his local knowledge by
mentioning Barbara Dickson. Stuart made some reference to drinking blood red
wine in Dunfermline, which went over my head. Not the wine, the reference.
Of the new songs I think I liked the one about the car bestest, as it
mentions pussycats. One of them seemed to have a bit of an electronic beat
thing going on, but I can't remember which.

Stuart Gardiner asked about the hugeness of Isobel's arse, but she had a big
fancy skirt on last night, so you couldn't really tell. And no one had
brought a measuring tape anyway.

Going home I noticed a couple of local neds who were confused by the number
of biscuit nibbling, cardigan wearing freaks waiting for the Edinburgh
train, which was nice. It's always fun to confuse neds.

Lawrence from NZ asked about the soundtrack album. There were a couple of
interviews in the papers last weekend with various members of the band and
from what I can remember there'll be three real songs, some music and a few
little jingles or something. They'd apparently written music for the whole
film, but the director only wanted them to do half in the end.

Sorry if this has been a load of garbled nonsense - I'm very tired today. I
had to get up far too early this morning - all this working stuff is no fun.
I'm sure someone else can write a far better review than this one.

Ian N.