Sinister: Manuscripts Don't Burp: A Life in Letters and Diaries

Peter Miller pjmiller at xxx.es
Wed Jun 13 09:40:14 BST 2001

>From The Master and Margarita:

    "No, no, hegemon," said the prisoner, straining with the desire to
convince. "This man follows me everywhere with nothing but his goatskin
parchment and writes incessantly. But I once caught a glimpse of that
parchment and I was horrified. I had not said a word of what was written
there. I begged him- please burn this parchment of yours! But he tore it out
of my hands and ran away."

Many people have claimed to have foreseen the Internet, Pete Townshend for
instance, but I think Mikhail Bulgakov came pretty close with the above
paragraph. Still, there's nothing we can do about it now, is there? I agree
with Mark C that it's getting harder to write to Sinister. Who's interested
in whether or not I think PF stands for Poo Face? Who cares that there's a
picture of Seymour Stein in PLEASE KILL ME and that the word WARONKER has
appeared in every single review of the new REM album? That's right, the same
number of people as before - three, give or take one or two.

Honey mentioned BILLIE JEAN - did you know that next year Michael Jackson's
THRILLER album will be twenty years old? It doesn't bear thinking about. But
I often think about things that don't bear thinking about. I've been
listening to the album a lot lately. Becasue I bought it. It's pretty good I
think. BILLIE JEAN is faultless, sounds like it was recorded yesterday.
WANNA BE STARTIN' SOMETHING is like a SMILE-era Beach Boys outtake, whose
toytown guitar solo surpasses its more famous cousin from Eddie Van Halen on
BEAT IT for sheer stoopidity. I give the album 8 out of 10.

Thanks for all the concert reviews, it's almost like being there. I reckon
people who shout for SYMPATHY FOR THE DEVIL stand a good chance of being
satisfied by Stevie.

I hear the Saracen's Head have got a special promotion on this weekend - a
free Ribena dash in your Buckfast! Get there early to avoid disappointment.

Peter MIller
Baix Llobregat