Sinister: The horror! The Fun!

zorba at xxx.uk zorba at xxx.uk
Wed Jun 13 10:09:18 BST 2001

Ruvi Simmons said:
> I must say that the idea of voting being an intrinsic expression
of freedom is
> a complete fallacy. Universal suffrage may once have symbolised
the zenith
> of liberte, egalite and fraternite, but its meaning has changed.
Politics
> and politicians have always devoted themselves to representing
the interests
> of the voting public. It doesn't matter whether those with the
vote are a
> percentage of 5 or 100. As it is now, the major political parties
are
> nothing more than a hotch-potch of uninspired demagogues who will
do
> anything if they think it will gain them votes. They reflect
complacent,
> smug apathy far more than anything else, and are more responsible
for
> maintaining the status quo, perpetuating prejudice, than any
other group of
> people. To vote in an election is to give tacit consent to
everything they
> stand for, which is anti-ideology, self-interest and
manipulation.

i couldn't agree more.  it annoys me when people say, 'but people
died for you to have the vote!'  NO, they didn't.  people died in
wars because they were told to go and fight, because they had very
little choice.  and even if they DID choose to go and fight, surely
they died for democracy.  and we don't have democracy in this
country.  is it democracy when the 3 main parties all stand for
roughly similar things - exploitation of working people through
capitalism - and the only part of the electorate that either labour
or the tories aim their policies towards are those who live in
marginal seats.  and is it democracy when labour wins with a
landslide with only 25% of the electorate voting for them?

rule your own lives

on to funnnier & happier topics.  i had a great (i REFUSE to say
grate - why do people do it?) night last night.  me & a group of
friends had been given a tip off about a private function.  there
was a fire garden display thingy, with 2 characters dressed up &
running around like loonies setting fire to things.  then there was
a huge firework display.  afterwards 3 of us followed the suits
back into the building & found the room where there had been a posh
meal & there was still lots of wine all over the tables, so we
drank a few glasses, grabbed a few bottles, and tried to look
inconspicuous.  we failed on the last bit, but totally succeeded on
the other two!  hurray for free wine!

catch you all later, antony