Sinister: Does this make me their biggest fan?

m.e. curtin mecurtin at xxx.ca
Thu Jun 14 00:44:24 BST 2001

So, I suppose the only benefit to being west o' the Atlantic is that we,
who cannot see them LIVE, could hear the new single yesterday.  It's a
pretty fair trade.  I won't offer any idiotic reviews, I won't spoil your
fun, but I will tell you what I went through to get this single.

You see, there are no decent record stores in my town.  I know I know,
same old sorry story, right?  WEll, I have to drive a few minutes to the
"next city" to the only somewhat reasonable record store.  No problem,
right?  WEll, I do hate the drive as it is on an expressway, but it's
worth it for record heaven.  Anyway, yesterday I went directly from work
(which meant I was wearing a bright orange tshirt with a big yellow "x" on
the back........plus I was dirty and sweaty - a real feast for the
eyes) up to this place that I thought might have Jonathan David.  En
route, I come 3 cm from being sideswiped by a tow truck that turned on a
red light (left turn, I might add), I hit and (assumedly) kill a groundhog
on the highway and was very close to having my knees crushed when the
woman who parked in front of me gunned backwards without looking behind
her.  Ouch, such havoc!  I was discouraged.  Imagine my surprise when I
walked into said record store and directly beside the door was the LAST
COPY of Johnathan David.  What are the odds?  The guy who worked there was
ticked that I bought it because "now he'd have to order more due to
'suspiciously increased demand'".  THose were his words.  I felt glad.

So you see, I risked my life for Belle and Sebastian.  That makes me their
most valiant fan.  I think I may embroider(?) myself a badge saying: "Most
Courageous Fan Ever".  If only I could sew.......If only I had any
skills.  Could I be given an official post as Sinister Security?  Maybe we
could have the Sinistoria Cross, awarded to listees who display especially
heroic acts of fanship.  That could work, right?

On a lighter note, the single is great (grate, grayte,
graite......whatever you like) and all of you who must wait a few days
should feel better because you know that the best things are worth waiting
for.

I'll be quiet now.

Yours,
Marybeth