Sinister: feeling intense

Gordon gogron at xxx.uk
Wed Jun 13 11:58:09 BST 2001

ok. hi there.
I have about fifteen minutes available in which to write such as I have
to say. In moments like these I see the meaning in the words of
T.S.Eliot: 'Midwinter spring is its own season/ Sempiternal though
sodden towards sundown,/ Suspended in time, between pole and tropic.'
The eternal strangeness of time and people and being. Or perhaps I ought
to translate more directly from Eliot: the seasons are general
descriptions of time and state but do not describe an individual/ the
word 'Sempiternal' means 'enduring constantly' and derives from late
Middle English from the Old French *sempiterne* = late [from the shorter
version of the Oxford English Dictionary]
The rest of that line you might presume to translate correctly.
The third line 'Suspended in time, between pole and tropic' in which
T.S. perhaps was, for the sake of modernity disinclined to change the
comma for a semi-colon, is clearly referencing wild (as in the distance
between the humours of 'pole' and 'tropic' and the physical distance and
the enduration of such a travel) swings of mood: childhood is not so
long ago, after all.
I now have five minutes, a haircut (leaving the fringe) the day off and
dressed immaculately in a white cuff-linked shirt; grey woven tie and
black suit in heavy cloth. On the suggestion of my mother, I have taken
off the waistcoat because the entirety of the appearance produced an
almost funereal aspect.
No funerals or anything: I am over-dramatic in demeanour and happy, but
curious, to be alive. But I am.

I'll tell you later:)

Gordon