Sinister: Fuckin' Brilliant!

David Moore Daf_Moore at xxx.com
Sun Jun 17 19:02:10 BST 2001

Hi All,

(That's not me swearing, BTW - that's just what Stuart Murdoch exclaimed
before leaving the stage last night.)

He was right of course, but let's not begin at the end.

G-IGOK
I knew that the concerts would be good when I read the registration of Go's
B737 at Stansted.

I'M SUCH A CRAPPER
Stuart Murdoch's aside after explaining why he was spraying Lady Sure on his
fingers having sat down to play the piano for the first time on Friday.

Friday's setlist reads:

Grooving With Mr Blue (sic)
Le Pastie De La Bourgeoisie
There's Too Much Love
The Magic Of A Kind Word
I Know Where The Summer Goes
Dog On Wheels
Jonathan David
Slow Graffiti
The Model
(My Girl's Got) Miraculous Technique

Request - The Boy With The Thorn In His Side

Simple Things
Arab Strap
Fox In The Snow
Family Tree
Like Dylan In The Movies
I Love My Car
The Wrong Girl
Woman's Realm
Legal Man
Lazy Line Painter Jane

Opener a cover of the harmonica-lead instrumental number which was a UK hit
from the Summer of 1970 by Mr Bloe. (I know that nearly all of you knew
that, but one person *did* ask me)

The Stuart being arrested shenanigans were him talking about worrying about
an unpaid speeding fine so Stevie saying he needed a  ..... Legal Man!
before playing the song. Two coppers came on stage halfway through the track
to arrest Stuart & dragged him off at the end. He then reappears with Monica
Queen both wearing the policemen's caps (Monica having made short shrift of
the fuzz) to launch into a storming version of LLPJ with a smiling Isobel
playing thunderous bass.

Oh, Friday fashion section: Isobel in bright red ?PVC jacket, blue & green
tartan A-line skirt, white ankle socks with New York New York & skyscraper
skyline pattern on, quality red high heels.

Stuart in Denis The Menace & Gnasher tee.

I DON'T LIKE TEETH THINGS, CLOWNS OR EMPTY ROCKING CHAIRS
Proclaimed Cabbage* rather disturbingly in the pub at Saturday lunchtime,
where the 80/- Ale/IPA washed down the (pretty good) food from the Grosvenor
Café across the road. Breakfast for Treacle & I, lunch for Cabbage, Sprout,
Vicky & BG Mark. Not sure which meal it was for the bloke (arms of sex) in
the corner.

I'VE BEEN FELLATED SO MANY TIMES THANKS TO SINISTER
A grateful listee to Princess Honey at the picnic in Kelvingrove Park (on
pretty green if damp slope with view of the University rising above the
trees)

Honey's nails plain taupe on Friday - glittery on Saturday.

Bel (the dog) was a true star, having learned all about holding a pose from
someone amongst the 50+ at the pinic.

I'M DISAVOWING THE ARTIFICE OF THE NON-POSE
Explained the photogenic Le Troussé whilst we admired The Pinefox's picnic
piccies amidst spiral fries & cocktails before we taxi-ed off to the gig.
Then P F  talked of the globalised world after a discussion with Carey about
formalism.

IS THAT YOUR AYRSHIRE BACON?               NO, I'M JUST KEEPING MY HANDS
WARM
Uptown Shufflers (definitely top ranking!) joke on the subject of the
Sousaphone player's origin.

SATURDAY GIG
The charming young lady behind the merchie stall (Make Yours A Banchory,
listees) promised more songs & a better performance & was of course also
correct. Even tighter, having more fun on stage, better reaction from
(bigger, I thought) audience compared to the previous evening.

Both nights: sound excellent, strings superb, speedy instrument changes, all
good. Belfast Bob contributing more on bass (& other guitars) than STuD
(sorry Pookie)

BTW lots of new tees, 4 new badges, 2 new mugs, mouse mats soon, for whoever
it was that asked.

I COULD EVEN FIND IT IN MY HEART TO LOVE MIKE LOVE
Line from new song I Love My Car, played both nights at the Barras (Saturday
more pounding, rock) with Uptown accompaniment. I love my car, I love my
dog, I love my pussy cat, I love the rat under the floor, but I can't love
you. One day I'll look in your eyes & you won't be there. (Gross paraphrase,
sorry)

Sounds like? Bit from the Bonzo Dog Doo Dah Band's My Pink Half Of The
Drainpipe, bit from Dexy's Midnight Runners' Come On Eileen, bit from Small
Faces' Itchycoo Park.

And good :) In my head all day today.

LEGAL MAN
The extended section with Stuart on bass & everyone else beating the shit
out of various percussion was great & may make me reconsider my opinion of
the song.

HOW COMPLETE DOES A COVER VERSION HAVE TO BE TO BE INCLUDED IN THAT LIST?
Stevie Reverb played 3 or 4 notes of the intros to The Beatles' Blackbird
before Wrong Girl & The Stones' Last Time before Legal Man.

IT
Gradually dawned that the set list I humiliated myself to get on Saturday
was incorrect, (from another performance, ?earlier in the week? Included
below in case its useful to anybody), so apologies to Giita & the other girl
who copied it from me. Those with better memories can fill in the gaps
between Sleep The Clock Around (complete with piper whose kilt was lifted by
Isobel as she walked on stage) & encore The Zombies' Time Of The Season (ace
version BTW)

LANDSLIDE
During an Divine set post-gig at The Art School (all top 60's-ish danceable
tunes during the 3 or so hours I was there, no duds) Andy Symington played a
version of THAT song. If controversy still exists about the tune played at
The Bowlie he said that it *was* by Belle and Sebastian, the version was
sung by Evie Sands & that it might be released this summer.

MMMM, CHEAP DRINK
Our man under Steve Albini's mixing desk reckons that Cheap Trick are to
headline ATP 2002.

FOR PETER
Sorry, didn't go in The Saracen Head, but neither did anyone else :)
Youngsters mostly already listed, so Old School Sinister present included
Keith, Chris, Tag, Elizabeth, Warrender John, Trousers, Honey, Linda, Joss.

Usual apologies to those who my fading memory omits. (Plus, 12 hours sleep
since Thursday morning not enough :(  )

SO, THANKS TO EVERYONE WHO HAD A HAND IN ARRANGING THE GLASGOW GIGS, THEY
WERE GREAT!

SPECIAL THANKS
To video stars The Care Bears.

Dodgy setlist: