Sinister: Who's your daddy?

Lucy Alder lucyalder at xxx.com
Mon Jun 18 11:47:36 BST 2001

I'm not a very sociable person, me.  On Saturday I went to the biggest
Scottish picnic ever (I think London still holds the international record,
just about) and only met three new people.  Jenowl hugged me!  John John
foisted Haribo sours and peanut cookies on me!  Will, er, had plaits!  I
spotted Sunnyset because of her lovely, bouncy doggy but couldn't go and
say hello because bouncy doggies and fishnet tights are a bad combination.
 Claws can easily get caught in little holes and I had no intention of
looking like a St Trinian, so I stayed uphill and unladdered.

I had considered going into the Saracens Head and saying "Oh ja, dahling,
that's fabulous sweetie!" down my mobile phone in a very loud voice, but I
didn't fancy being glassed so I left it to Ailsa to be well hard and went
straight into the Barrowlands Ballroom and waltzed down the front.  And,
and, and!  Then I finally saw Belle & Sebastian after a twenty-six month
wait which began when I didn't get tickets for the Bowlie.  The best bits
were:

- Le Pastie de la Bourgoisie, which really did ROCK.  The girls' harmonies
were spot on and the violins were triffic.
- My Wandering Days Are Over - only the second time they've played it and
the first time was a complete shambles, according to Mistopher Chris.  It
could have been a bit faster, but it was still a *moment*
- Da ya Think I'm Sexy? in which Stevie became a ROCK GOD.  If only he'd
been wearing leopard print, eh?  Rrrraow!  Unfortunately he ruined the
ROCK image shortly after by making a toy sheep baaaa into the microphone.
Hmm.
- The vibraphone coming in very, very loud in Mayfly and sounding like
somebody farting down the microphone

Other random observations:

- Belfast Bob has Gay Dad hair
- The merchandise I saw were four new badges (a website one, a BSPD one,
one with a seventies looking couple and a blue and red one), a blue
t-shirt with a drawing of Struan's car in pink and apparently there was a
t-shirt with the seventies looking couple and some mugs too, but the
merchandise stand was mobbed and I couldn't get close.  I'll save my
pennies for the Albert Hall.
- Struan needs a couple of good hot dinners.  His arse didn't fill out the
tartan trews very well.  I am tempted to make a comment about arse
transplants at this point, but will refrain.
- I'm not sure about I Love My Car.  It reminds me of those oompah things
Blur used to do.

One other thing, and I'm not sure if it's good or bad.  They did an
encore.  I don't think they've ever done an encore before.  Have they sold
out?  I don't think so.  After all, they didn't keep us shouting and
stamping for more than about five seconds.  If they were bastardy
too-big-for-their-boots sell-outs, they'd have stayed backstage and made
us wait for five minutes and milked it, man.  And when they came back they
did a jolly good Time of the Season which had me klok-clap-ahhing long
into the next day.  I think that might have been annoying to the people I
was with.

After the gig, we went to the Art School where I went a bit dozy because
I'd been for 23 hours with no sleep so I was ROCK, if a bit ratty.   But
things livened up considerably when the Pinefox got in a fight!  He would
be the Chris Eubank of Sinister, if Chris Eubank wore purple jumpers.

Big hugs to everyone who was there.  I'm still all grinny.  Can't wait for
R!A!H!

Lucy x

=====