Sinister: glasgow review

Lane, James JLane at xxx.uk
Mon Jun 18 16:48:27 BST 2001

hello sinsters...

i like a few others made the pilgramidge from the city of london to the wee
scottish city of glasgow to see those conquering heros, bell and sebastain,
play their home town on saturday.  fly up and stayed with me scottish chum
kirsty who was also dead excited about the gig..so lets cut the waffle i
hear you cry, tel us about the gig....

well here goes..

belle and sebastian on saturday night at the glasgow barrowlands.....words
escape me, i still have a grin the size of a cheshire cat...they were just
so good, played for 2 hours and did absolute loads of great songs, new songs
and covers.  the on stage banter was great, the banter with the audience was
superb and at times there was 14 people on stage..

so what diod they play,in no particular order

le pastie de la bourgeoise
legal man
johnathan david
we rule the school
my wandering days are over
if youre feeling sinister
mayfly
sleep the clock around
the boy with the arab strap
simple things
the model
dont leave the light on baby
the wrong girl
womens realm
family tree
theres to much love

2 new songs, titles escape me, but might be

(my girls got) miraculous technique
the magic of a kind word

also new song definitlay called i love my car

in the request slot, a cover of rod stewarts do you think im sexy and the
proclaimers letter form america.
finished on 'time of the seasons' by the zombies

so there you are mate, some tunes form all of their albums, was VERY chuffed
that they did some tiger milk tunes, was superb.  also had a proper scottish
bagpiper for 'sleep the clock around' which was the first song.  the lights
went out, the bagpipes started anfd they all trooped on behind the piper to
lots of cheers and applause.  with the piper on stage they HAD to do sleep
the clock as it has a piper in it.  stuart started to sing, its a quiet song
but he sounded to quiet but luckerly the vocals went up after the third line
to the right levels.  everyone was singing along and dancing.

rest of the time went to quick, they were on for 2 hours and every song was
great, even the new ones sounded like classics.  they mucked up a few of the
songs a bit, doing the second verse fitst and repeating some verses on some,
most noticible on legal man, which was a stonker.  they lenghed it out and
it sounded fantastic...

other funnies included the support band 'the uptown shuflers' whe were 4
grandads playing concert  hall songs from the 20's finishing on 'king of the
swingers' from jungle book.  they joined belle and sebastian later for 'i
love my car' which does sound class b/s song...

they had the music book for 'fold your hands...' on the piano. the lyric
books formn the cd albums to hand.  isobels flys were undone, pointed out to
me i must add, nice white knickers on ....

auidence members dressed in fine attire, including a liutent, b/s all had
some sort of tartan item of clothing on, trousers especially...

merchandise, well you could by all the posters for their albums/eps.  an
array of tshirts, some new badges (which i have and are great) some mugs, i
have he girl recling, in green and white with the words belle and sebastain
on...very groovey.

also they had post cards with the johnathan david pic, which were invites to
the OFFICIAL  after show party whih i must say i did go to, although it was
not that good, and only stevie turned up.

met the girl who took the picture of isobel on the inside cover of arab
strap as well the next day, cool....

so all in all the weekend was GREAT, was great to see kirsty, and we both
luved belle and sebastain..

roll  on albert hall for london leg

this is laneo for the nme, saying, with a smile, i thank you
james

xxxx

ps bought johnathan davis today, the 2 b sides are class..