Sinister: The Hissing of Summer Loons

Peter Miller pjmiller at xxx.es
Wed Jun 20 10:54:15 BST 2001

I went to see a film called TIME'S UP. It marks a new low point in the
history of independent cinema. It actually looks as if it was filmed on
toilet paper.

The new single. JONTY DAVID features some really terrible singing. STUFF
YOUR CABBAGE CLOCK's string arrangement has all the stately elegance of a
month old loaf of Sunblest. MIDDLE DISTANCE RUNNER's guitar solo should have
been a real speaker shreddder, the loudest thing in the world, leaping out
of the stereo and throttling the listener, but instead it sounds a bit
poorly, in need of some Lucozade. I suppose it might grow on me. But right
now I'm UNDERWHELMED. And I wasn't scratching my head when I saw the sleeve,
I was tutting and shaking my head sadly.

I much prefer ISLAND LETTER by Shuggie Otis and WHAT'S GOING ON (rhythm and
strings mix) by Marvin Gaye. Is it any wonder I pull so many birds?

What really pisses me off about JD is that for just three times the amount
of money it cost me I could have had the RELENTLESSLY THUMPING new album by
Missy "Misedemeanour" Elliot.

Peter