Sinister: Glasgow Again, Sorry

David Moore Daf_Moore at xxx.com
Wed Jun 20 17:37:36 BST 2001

Hi There,

I found a few other memories of last weekend kicking around in my head that
no-one else seems to have covered.

About 3 songs into Saturday's gig Stuart was going on about how great it was
to be doing a concert in your hometown, when you can wake up in your own
bed. The he remembered that he hadn't woken up in his own bed .... & said
that it was a good thing that his Mum & Dad weren't there (although his
sister would probably tell them)

More star spotting: Saturday afternoon we saw Stevie returning from town on
the Great Western Road having bought the cow, sheep, Glasgow rock etc.
Who was it that said that he was the only band member in the Art School
later? (James?) Mick & Bob were there too.

At Stabiliser Towers on Friday night we were lucky enough to watch the
hilarious Jonathan David video a couple of times (some saw it so many times
they no longer considered it lucky ...) The love triangle story is intercut
with the band performing the song in costume: Stevie at the piano with Jason
King moustache & feather boa, Stuart all Marcel Marceau in whiteface, Mick
in a blonde wig (again!), Beans playing melodica in a hat, Oh, I can't
remember the rest. When Stuart looks at the girl his facial expression says
he wants to EAT her. Stevie's sadness very touching.

In Another Place Jordi was asking about The Smiths cover on Friday. I don't
know if The Boy With The Thorn In His Side was actually requested or just
any Smiths song. Stevie said he knew the chords and he & Stuart sang it
although neither could really remember the words. Isobel should have sung it
as she seemed to know them perfectly.

Er, Saturday's covers. For the sake of good taste & decency I feel I should
point out that during the Declaimers song Stuart didn't look too happy &
finished it (at last!) saying something like "that's enough of that rubbish"

I know I'm being boring but Saturday WAS a fantastic gig. When's the live
album coming out, pretty please?

This is a cheek too, Nick (hi, great to hear from you again!) having done
all the hard work, but I heard 3 minor differences to him in the first song
of last night's session, so:

SHOOT THE SEXUAL ATHLETE

Now I'm in a band people try to make me do things
Kiss arses and pay tribute
But I'm inclined today to do those things anyway
And I don't care who hears it

'Cause I'm a fan of the Go-Betweens
A fan of Robert, and I always have been
But I like Grant, now that I've met him
Because he's charming

Of all the stars, and all the would-be stars
I'd take him home, to my mum and dad
Yeah, he's charming, but he's a trouble-maker too
He amuses me greatly

I like Lindy and I saw Vickers
Pete stole the set list, and the itinerary
He wrote my name down as 'Tour Rent Boy'
It was hard, but so is life

I was making button badges
And I had too much time on my hands
I coloured them by hand
Pere Ubu and the Sugarcubes

Kids came in to watch me
But Pete & Sean just scorned
Just like they scorned Robert
But I secretly loved the big guy
He dressed like Sherlock Holmes

And he fixed us with a quizzative eye
Before singing such romances
That only the sods trampled underfoot by Thatcher
Could appreciate their love
Could appreciate their love

Someone said it was reminiscent of 80's Lou Reed, but I was put in mind of
another Velvet as its spoken a bit like the way John Cale recites The Gift

Happy Birthday to the Pinefox!

Better go now,

Love,

David Moore