Sinister: Re: Probing questions...

eric the half a bee cheesebunhead at xxx.uk
Thu Jun 21 14:42:21 BST 2001

I know I just posted yesterday or something, but mr.
sam walton's nicely phrased thoughts on b&s made me
want to throw my two cents (pence, whatever) in.
basically, he said this:

'"Are B&S actually any good anymore?",

and I almost came to the conclusion of

"No".'

then he said this:

"Anyway, sorry for the rant, I just wondered if
anybody else felt this
way,
or if I was just having an off day..."

I know it's been brought up before (i.e., are b&s crap
now, are the new songs any good, blah blah blah...)
but it seems relevant in light of the gigs, "jonathan
david", and the peel session. I went into the archives
(something we all should do every once in a while;
it's quite instructive) and you can see the same
concerns going as far back as when twattybus was new.

I sort of feel the same way as sam; the new b&s stuff
hasn't "spoken" to me the same way as the earlier
stuff has. I can't put my finger on why, exactly, but
I think it has something to do with a change in
emphasis from the sort of lyrics that while specific,
have a sort of allegorical nature as well, and an
emphasis on pretty music over words. just yesterday I
listened to the new single, enjoyed it, then put on
iyfs and got goosebumps and broke into a huge
uncontrollable smile. that's what this music does to
me, and what the new stuff doesn't really do. but
maybe I'm just turning into a cranky old man.

for what it's worth, I still love 'em to bits.

hope someone finds this interesting,
eric