Sinister: 10 Roddington Place

Peter Miller pjmiller at xxx.es
Tue Jun 26 11:15:49 BST 2001

Nice to see Lloyd Cole taking up his rightful place in the annals of poetry.
Also nice to see the Go Betweens being used as emotional polyfilla in a Bad
Book. I read a book recently called HUMAN PUNK which was full of that sort
of thing, only with The Clash and 'The Pistols' instead of the Go Betweens.
There are references to The Jam and later on, to the fact that, "Weller
remained true to his Woking roots," during his solo career but the Style
Council are conveniently airbrushed out of the picture. I like the Style
Council. STUFF YOUR CABBAGE CLOCK reminds me of a Style Council 12 inch
extra track. The one about fox hunting. I don't know what it's called. It
contained the immortal line, "who gets a hard-on with blood on his hands?"
and we all looked a bit sheepish. It's about time someone wrote the
definitive Style Council novel, probably in CSE Grade 2 French. It would be
GRATE. A teenage Mick Talbot lookalike re-enacts the Long Hot Summer video
with his pet sea lion playing Paul Weller. An anonymous phonecall alerts the
police, and just as they get to the homoerotic punting scene, Inspector
Walrus turns up, blue lights flashing on the tips of his tusks, and bellows
them out from his riverside vantage point. This is the start of a dramatic
sequence of events...

OK, so I was a bit harsh on JD, it's quite catchy, as befits a number 31
single. Those photos of the video shoot are BEYOND WEIRD, aren't they?
Isobel looks lovely though. What's that thing behind her? It looks like
something out of an Oliver Stone film. There was a big old stereo behind
Anthony Hopkins in NIXON. All through the film. It stalked him. I wouldn't
be surprised to find that someone was inside it, like a pantomime horse. It
has just dawned on me that it might have been symbolic.

Well I think Missy Elliott is GRATE.

I was wondering whether the quiet guitar in MIDDLE DISTANCE was due to the
notorious band democracy? I suppose the speaker shredding TV mix was put
together by somebody else. I think my general disappointment comes from
having expected the Mike Hurst Wall of Sound. I'll just have to wait.

Sister Disco