Sinister: "I'm on an alcohol diet. I've already lost three days."

Robert Brennan rob_brennan at xxx.uk
Wed Jun 27 11:05:59 BST 2001

The subject line was uttered by Barry Cryer on I'm
Sorry I Haven't a Clue which is why it's the bestest
show on the Radio 4 apart from maybe that one John
Peel does about how families don't really get on and
things.

Lots of people have been talking about Johnathan
David.  What is this?  Some kind of Belle & Sebastian
list?  OK here goes...

Popped into my local "small" record shop last week and
grabbed a picture of some people looking awkward at a
toga party.  Paid 4 quid, got a penny in change and
skipped home all excited.

Threw it into the CD player, cranked flatmate's new
amp up to 11 and pressed PLAY...

Mmmm...  Nice piano intro, tune already rattling
around my head.  Voice comes in... oh dear Stevie -
did you lose your headphones?  Start to enjoy things
more as they start layering on the layers.  Suddenly
much happier by the end.  File under Growers.

Inlay reads like secondary school RE essay.
Concentrate on the music.

Take Your Carriage Clock is better.  They seem more
comfortable with a string section than they did with
anything on Flappyclap.  Struan sounds angry. GRRR!

Middle distance runner is ace.  I can't comment on the
guitar solo since I'm not familiar with the
earth-shattering live version.  I'm only here for the
whistling and TLOTMDR has some of the best recorded
whistling since The Scorpions' Wind of Change.

Of course the other great Whistling record was I Was
Kaiser Bill's Batman by 'Whistling' Jack Smith.  A top
ten hit I believe until the scandal broke - Milli
Vanilli style - that not a note in the recording had
actually issued from 'Whistling's lips.

David Moore mentioned a curious feeling of growing
excitement apparently focused on this coming Friday.
I think it's contagious.

Must do some work.

Robster