Sinister: I Was Batman's Kaiser Bill...

MIWinship at xxx.com MIWinship at xxx.com
Wed Jun 27 22:58:51 BST 2001

PEDANTIC CONTENT

Eagle-eyed listees may have noticed that this week's (shining) NME live
review of the Glasgow gig(s) refers to the Friday date but the accompanying
photo clearly shows the bagpiper, which was on the Saturday. Gah!

WHISTLING

Yes, it's true that the man who claimed to be 'Whistling' Jack Smith had
nothing to do with the record. I recommend finding his album, 'Around the
World With..', in any good charitable shop, if only for the disturbing
'psychadelic' cover image of Jack clutching a globe and grinning blankly. The
'musical director' (and possible real whistler) was Ivor Raymonde, who
arranged Scott Walker's solo albums and is the dad of Simon Raymonde from the
Cocteau Twins and, and, and....

Whistling fans should check the appendix in the excellent book 'Ways of
Hearing' by Ben Thompson for more examples of "those parts of a song which
can't - or shouldn't - be put into words". Arab Strap and the Smiths are in
there. I trust that revised editions will include '...Middle Distance Runner'.

BUS DRIVERS

Whilst I would never expect to get on a bus with a £10 note (that's just
asking for trouble...) I was also subject to bus driver bastardness in the
Greenwich area today. It was that trick of the bus you want tailgating the
bus you don't want so that when the one in front stops the one behind
overtakes and shoots off, 'conveniently' having not seen you as you
desperately try to flag it down as it passes the stationary 177 and you swear
at him then realise the other bus is still there with it's doors open....

Oh, enjoy the RAH Band, everyone. I hope they do 'The Crunch' for you....

Mike.