Sinister: but, as I'm not looking for a wife and I can't play table tennis - here I am.

Richard Gillanders r_gillanders at xxx.com
Thu Jun 28 10:47:41 BST 2001

the archetypal comedian who plays a character which is
almost pretty much themselves but with dialogue not
written by them but by someone else is tony hancock.
anyone who likes comedians of this sort should check
him out.  the half-hours and the films he was in.
some people think that the stuff that wasn't written
by gaulton and simpson is much less funnier.  but it's
still really very funny.  the composer and conductor
of the incidental music [for the 'hancock's half
hour's] was wally stott.  he arranged a lot of scott
walker's solo albums.  he also changed his sex.  from
a man to a woman.

I saw belle and sebastian in glasgow but didn't post.
then.  I'll just mention it now:

it really was very good.  I'm glad it happened.

it was worth it.  I feel better because of it.

I met some nice people at the picnic.  but I was
tired.

so people might think I'm rude.  and maybe I am.

when I'm tired.

that's enough.

I heard belle and sebastian on radio one but I didn't
post.  then.  I'll just mention it now:

it really was very good.  et cetera.

I do like the rhythmic talking in 'shoot the sexual
athlete' very much.

but I was tired.

enough again.

I met a nice man from chicago at the weekend.  after
almost mistakenly attending 'an evening of guitar
music' at hynland's church.  as I say: he was nice.
and we talked about music for a while.  because I like
some music from chicago.  and so did he.  I
highlighted some areas of my musical ignorance.  and,
with his ball-point pen and my used underground
ticket, he tried his best to set out a list of nice
music to hear which would also resolve some of these
gaps in knowledge.  I offered to compile and send him
a list of nice buildings he should see.  he was a nice
man.  he had a beard.  and a beret.

also at the weekend: I found out that a friend from my
university course has signed himself and me up to go
to the czech republic next year. for studying
purposes.  it was going to be prague originally.  but
now he says 'brno'.  not knowing anything about that
country. I don't know if there's much difference
between the two.  except, obviously, the consonant to
vowel ratio.

no-one is likely to recall my last post.  but I do.
and I'm feeling indulgent.

I mentioned spying people who looked like bill wells
and chris geddes at the steve malkmus show at the
q.m.u. and I mentioned the support band.  lonecop.
and their bow-wielding singing guy.  well.  he gets
around.  because.  I went to see damon and naomi at
king tut's.  I never did actually *see* either damon
or naomi.  BUT.  I *did* see lonecop's bow-wielding
singing guy at the bar.  at one point.  when I woke
up.  briefly.  THEN.  I was going to canada and I was
checking in for my flight.  and he walked past me.
the same lonecop bow-wielding singing guy.  and I just
thought to myself that it was quite peculiar.  and I
still think that now.  but it probably wasn't THAT
peculiar.  that you see the same people.  there are
probably people that I've seen a greater number of
times than this guy.  but, because they don't sing or
wield bows for lonecop, I haven't noticed.

anyhow.

I got the 'playback singers' album by damon and naomi
a few weeks back.  following the advice of a narrow
wizard.  I'm sure it's probably very good.  but I
haven't listened to it.  as yet.

just now I'm reading a book called 'flatland: a
romance of many dimensions'.  it's very good.  and I'd
recommend it.  if I thought there was no chance that
someone might actually read it as a result and report
back on how boring it is.  but I enjoy it.  hey!  I'm
going to recommend it anyhow.  there is a very cheap
edition in print just now.  a 'thrift edition', if you
like.  I got my copy for the equivalent of
seventy-five pence.  it's certainly worth it.  anyone
who already HAS a copy: you have no excuse.

I got the new beta band album on napster.  most likely
the last favour napster'll do me.  I like the album.
I know some people don't like the beta band much.  but
I know that I do.  very much.  but not as much.
obviously.

I think that's probably enough.  or too much.

okay,
richard