Sinister: night of the bunjos

Dirty Vicar dirtyvicar at xxx.net
Sat Jun 30 21:57:07 BST 2001

hello Sinister,

I'm typing this while listening to Eminem's "Marshall Mathers LP". HMV were
selling it for a fiver so I bought it in the interests of science. He's very
rude. But I like 'Stan', it reminds me of 'Paint A Vulgar Picture' by The
Smiths.

Actually I've got bored with it and decided to listen to The Fall's "458489
A-Sides" which I also bought. The Fall rock. Hit The North!

I am envious of all the people off to the RAH gig tonight, despite seeing
B&S twice two weeks ago.

on 28/6/01 10:47, Richard Gillanders at r_gillanders at yahoo.com wrote:

> also at the weekend: I found out that a friend from my
> university course has signed himself and me up to go
> to the czech republic next year. for studying
> purposes.  it was going to be prague originally.  but
> now he says 'brno'.  not knowing anything about that
> country. I don't know if there's much difference
> between the two.  except, obviously, the consonant to
> vowel ratio.

A friend of mine lived in Brno for a while. She says it's very nice, much
nicer than Prague. I think people who live in Brno or who have ever visited
it prefer it to Prague. That might be because it's very nice, but it might
be that second city v. capital rivalry you get in so many countries. Well,
you get it in Ireland anyway. Any losers from Cork reading this?

Anyway, the impression I get is that Brno is nicer to live in than Prague,
whereas Prague with its strange mix of fairytale and art nouveau makes the
perfect tourist destination. Brno is also cheaper than Prague, which must
mean it is incredibly cheap.

A little known fact is that Czech has given the English language only two
words. One is pistol. The other is Bren, as in Bren Gun, a second world war
machine gun former "Warlord" readers like me remember well. The Bren Gun is
named after Brno where it was originally designed.

Fascinating.

> just now I'm reading a book called 'flatland: a
> romance of many dimensions'.  it's very good.  and I'd
> recommend it.

that's the one about squares and circles who live in a two dimensional
world? I keep hearing it mentioned as a metaphor for how we might interact
with a fourth dimension.

Tomorrow I might go see a DJ priest. There's some charity thing on here in
sunny Dublin where they have loads of DJs playing for worthy causes (Simon
Community and Refugee Council, I think). The priest is involved with one of
the charities and happens to be be a big electro fan, so they have him
spinning the wheels of steel. Can't wait.

I'm kind of sad about Tove Janson dying. You know her, she created the
Moomins. The BBC news site profile of her was interesting, basically as she
got older she got more and more miserable, and the last Moomin book she did
doesn't even have the Moomins in it, because she couldn't visualise the
happy creatures anymore. That's very sad.

better rock now.

bless you all,

the Dirty Vicar.

By the way, Cork people, I don't really think you are losers.  Cork is very
nice.