Sinister: Peacock Manifesto

Hewitt, Stephen shewitt at xxx.uk
Fri Mar 2 16:33:11 GMT 2001

Yes I know two posts in two days, but i though you might be interested in
this.

Through my bookish connections I obtained a copy of The Peacock Manifesto
last night and read it all in one go. It's about 150 pages and very easy to
read (took me about an hour and a half).  For the record there are 6 Fs a S
and a C on page one (further analysis to follow, maybe), but the swearyness
isn't as extreme as I thought it was going to be, especially following the
peacock's mail that Miss Print forwarded the other day.  You'd certainly
have to be the Queen Mother or someone to be offended by it.

It's quite a simple little road story about two ne'erdowells trying to get a
record made.  I must say that although i enjoyed it, it doesn't have the
poetic, lyrical feel that I liked so much in nalda said.  I suppose Irving
Welsh would be the obvious comparison, but there's not really the darker
shit and misery side that you get with Welsh, it's more of a caper, with
lots of Scottish person abroad-type humour.

This also means that I've managed to read both of Stuart's books without
paying for either of them (although i'll prolly buy one so he'll sign it
when he does the instore)

Um, that's about it i guess

okey cokey karaoke :)

xoxo