Sinister: Why Is This Happening? You've Too Much On Your Mind

David Moore Daf_Moore at xxx.com
Sun Mar 4 00:19:51 GMT 2001

Hi Fragrant Ones,

I don't think this has appeared on Sinister before but there are realaudio
files of Looper's 18.05.00 Radio Scotland session here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio1/djs/session_scotland/audio_and_video/live_sessio
n/livesession_looper.shtml

One of the 2 songs is called Peacock Johnson. Its hard to make out what STuD
is whispering about on my crappy old pooter but it doesn't sound very
sweary.

How is he going to manage being both himself and Peacock at his Borders
appearances? He'll have to keep dashing behind the bookshelves to pop his
Hawaiian shirt & 70's pornstar moustache on.

I want to hear Big John Shaft & Take Your Carriage Clock and Shove It.
<sigh> Come to that I want to hear Marx & Engels & all those other
unreleased songs, too.

Lucy's been pondering her impending ATP experience too much recently, for
she wrote:

"I had a weird dream last night.  I went to a seventies rock festival with
David Moore, who lent me a load of seventies clothes for the occasion:
denim flares, a crocheted waistcoat and a nice tan leather belt with
tasselly bits on.  I was sitting on the grass, soaking up the sunshine
when I noticed Liam Gallagher was nearby and he was giving me the eye and
then the seventies rock guitarist on the stage winked at me.  Then my
alarm went off, which is a shame because I'd love to know what was going
to happen next ..."

Aaah, burgundy brushed denim flares with those V seams on the knees :)

Did the guitarist have long black hair parted on the left & a black Gibson
SG? If so it was John Cipollina and at the end of the gig he pointed you out
to his roadies & they took you backstage to be his laydee.

Whereas Geneviève's obviously been eating too much cheese late at night, as
she dreamed:

"I went to Mr. Moore's house where he was kind enough to feed me lots of
good food, but for some reason there was lots of stairs in the house,
certain ones were designated for going up and certain ones for going down. I
was wandering around, and I almost picked the wrong one, I tried to go down
an UP. But David shouted out just in time and everything was ok."

This just has me baffled. Visitors to our house are allowed one stair
direction error per stay.

Sally & I went to see Arab Strap on Monday. Like Carsmile we stepped
carefully over the sleeping students to stand a metre in front of Aidan &
Malcolm. I met Malcolm's gaze once but he didn't smile. I never dare to even
look in Adele's general direction in case she picks on me, as I'm terrified
of her. Sally was bored & would rather have seen Evan again but I think they
were good, & half the set excellent. (Rocket, Take Your
Turn/Infrared/Blackness/Turbulence) However I still don't have a clue what
Aidan sings about even when I know the words & can read his lips, so mostly
I just listen to the guitar.

Hmm. Students sitting on the floor at gigs - that's pretty 70's. Maybe your
dream was prophetic, Lucy.

Red Thread (or at least the second half of it) is pretty good, too. I'd
still rather listen to a new Belle And Sebastian record, though.

What do you think of the new Tortoise album? It doesn't sound much like them
to me - I can hear bits of rock, Mouse On Mars, the Chemical Brothers, even
the soundtrack to Sonic The Hedgehog. Strange. It'll be interesting to see
what they play live at Camber Sands.

That's it for the other one.

Every young girl's dream it seems,

David Moore