Sinister: charitable upmanship and hyperventilation

Jules Markham littleblackfox at xxx.com
Sun Mar 4 18:11:53 GMT 2001

hey cardie-folk,
Been laid low with the virus again. Cant tell if it's the old one, or a new
one, or just a bunch of them having a party in my lungs.
The guy's in the next room are watching wrestling, and Wheat just doesnt
seem to be drowning them out. Maybe I should upgrade to songs;ohia...
Saw this website today (I'm ill, mike's at work, what else is there to
do..?) called Random Acts Of Kindness. I dont know if all the beechams is
making me cynical, but it struck me as a pile of tree-hugging,
crystal-wearing, feng-shui nonsense. They had these little cards that you
were supposed to give to everyone you did a nice thing for telling them to
do something for someone else. That struck me as... I dont know, crude or
something. That's a conditional act of kindness, not spontaneous or because
it was needed, just making up the numbers. It misses the whole damned point!
(jules starts to hyperventilate) If someone did a nice thing for you, and
then gave you a card saying do something for someone else, then thats a
whole obligation to fill, unless you resent the assumption and dont bother,
but then you feel like you have to be kind to someone, and grab the first
chance you see, and then the whole damn thing is wasted! The site said stuff
like if you're in a bakery, buy a pastrie for the person behind you, and
give them a card with it. Surely it'd be a more useful act to buy a tea and
a sandwich for the guy stood across the street selling the big issue, or
asking for change, or buy some food and put it in those charity bins at the
supermarket...
Am I making any sense here, or just displaying indie snobbery?!
I dont know, either way, I still think that Joanna giving change to that guy
on the bus is worth a damn sight more than buying a cake for someone who can
afford cake if he's in a bakery already.
So I need a new name for my haphazard form of world-improvement. I cant
think of anything tho.
any idea's, or has Jules lost the plot (again)
so anyway, If anyone wants their world brightened, check out the new Bob the
Builder website www.bobthebuilder.org , and play pilchard mayhem- it's the
cutest thing since sainsbury's started making Mt Men cookies!
My rant over, I am going to have a cup of tea, and tell mikey i love him.
jules