Sinister: Adventures in Ribena

Robin Stout ppyrrjs at xxx.uk
Tue Mar 6 14:35:22 GMT 2001

Desmod bravely spoke of his childhood Ribena trauma...

>i ended up with a sticky shirt, a red face
>and the taste of vomit/blackcurrant in my throat for
>the rest of the day...

When I was at school I used to make up Ribena at home and put it in
a flask, then forget to drink it altogether and pretend to my mum that
I had. Once I kept some in my satchel for so long that it fermented,
and after I finally drank it I was rolling about in the school
greenhouse, wearing my new plant pot hat. Ribena was very popular
after that.

I'm very excited about Belle and Sebastian's new songs. I even
went so far as to grapple with Captain Technology and downloaded
those mp3s. Live recordings are a funny thing. Just as "Lord
Anthony" is obscured by the jingling of milk bottles and tea cups, for
"Big John Shaft" Richard is apparently so happy that he's found
himself the Biggest Drum in the Whole Bloody World that he bangs
it like a bandsman through the whole song. Milk bottles I can cope
with but those drums nearly had the neighbours banging their shoes
against the wall. It sounds like a sweet sad song though, and I like
it. Props to Mr Sleeka and big props to Captain Technology.

David sounded glum

> I want to hear Big John Shaft & Take Your Carriage Clock and
> Shove It. <sigh> Come to that I want to hear Marx & Engels & all
> those other unreleased songs, too.

Now, under the guise of a public service, but really because I
suppose I'm slightly obsessed with these things, here's my update
on the list of unreleased B + S songs.

Apart from Rhoda, Pocketbook Angel, London Has Let Me Down and
Hurley's Having Dreams, that they say they're not going to release,
there is also...

Marx and Engels, Once Upon A Weekend, Wake Her Up and
Landslide, all recorded for FYHCYWLAP and mentioned ages ago in
a Teletext interview, Loneliness Of The Middle-Distance Runner,
Paper Boat and Lord Anthony which they played live a few times a
couple of years back, and now Big John Shaft and Take Your
Carriage Clock And Shove It. Of course half of these probably won't
ever be released because they're not very good (Landslide
anybody?), but a lot of the rest are just lovely. Just knowing these
songs exist somewhere is enough to keep me in a permanent state
of excitement all day long. A bit embarrassing when you're in the
queue at Tesco's.

I met a girl called Sarah Martin on Friday. Like I kept telling her, she
wasn't the REAL Sarah Martin, because the real Sarah Martin is a
tiny little thing. She kept telling me to go away. Being little
apparently has its benefits, though. On the radio this morning Willie
Carson, a tiny little man,  was saying that economy class seats in
aeroplanes are like beds to him. The lucky man.

I'd just cut my nose shaving when the doorbell rang. It didn't stop
ringing however much I ignored it so I opened the door. There were
two ladies there.

"Hello Sir, would you like a copy of the Watchtower? It's oh... I think
we'll have to come back when you've stopped bleeding."

I almost lost half my nose. Honest.

Robin x