Sinister: To: sinister at missprint.org

Marc Bloomfield Marc.Bloomfield at xxx.uk
Thu Mar 8 13:47:19 GMT 2001

Hello all!

Thought I'd write, since there's been a couple of little threads going on
which cover two of my favourite things: Monty Python and the Tindersticks
(ooh, how about Monty Python sings the Tindersticks, or, even better, the
Tindersticks singing The Lumberjack Song? Maybe not...)

Good to see everyone has different MP faves. I still love the
'confuse-a-cat' one. Never fails to make me laugh. Though I do agree with
Jenowl, the killer joke one is brilliant.

As for the Tindersticks, well, yes, Stuart Staples does to a bit of a
'club singer' thing, but I think it works well. Although he did get a bit
*too* mumbly for a while (try figuring out most of the words on Curtains -
it's kind of a 'mmm, yyh t th mmm nnn...'). The last album was a cracker
though - 'Before You Close Your Eyes' is amazing. One of my favourites,
though, is the B-side of No More Affairs. It's a great instrumental
version, with a trumpet taking over the vocal melody. I think it works far
more than the proper one, actually. Although I always feel like I should
be nearing the end of a third bottle of wine when I'm listening to it.
Never have done, but it just sounds like that's the best way to listen to
it. In fact, I think most of their songs sound as though they should be
listened to in a miserable, drunken haze at 3 in the morning.

Talking of music, does anyone know of any really good albums that have
come out this year that I should buy? Nothing's tickled my fancy yet, so
I've stuck to the ever reliable old Fall compilations (Psykick Dance Hall
is great). Oh, and I bought Rank by The Smiths, finally, a few weeks ago.
There's something hilarious about listening to Morrissey try to growl. I
particularly love the strange noise he makes before 'Is It Really So
Strange?' - a kind of 'eeoow'.

I read A Man in Full by Tom Wolfe the other week. It's the longest book
I've read in ages. It's very good. The way everything in it builds up is
genius. Everyone should read it. Unless they haven't read Catch-22, in
which case they should read that first. Everyone should read that. And I
mean everyone.

I bought a Bill Hicks tape the other day. He makes me laugh.

I haven't drunk much recently. This is great for my bank-balance (kind
of), but it means every time I go to the pub, I drink 5 pints and get
plastered. I can't decide if this is a 'good thing' or not. Getting drunk
cheap is grate, but getting too drunk way before the night is over is
definitely bad. Perhaps I should take it a bit easier. It's also very
embarrassing when I get the bus home and keep falling over every time it
moves. Once, I did it so often that someone offered me their seat. How
ashamed I was. Almost put me off drink. But not quite. Vodka is far too
wonderful a thing to give up.

Oh well, I hope I haven't bored everyone to sleep. I'd better be quiet
again.

Marc.