Sinister: With The Motorway Still Sluicing In My Ear

David Moore Daf_Moore at xxx.com
Sun Mar 11 12:43:09 GMT 2001

Hi All,

Went to see The Lollies & Camera Obscura at Strange Fruit last night.
Embarrassed myself first by thinking it was sold out (but I was in the queue
for downstairs!) Not as packed as last time in the end.

The Lollies took some stick but they were quite sweet. There was some
jocular debate as to whether they sucked or not.

Camera Obscura were excellent, even better than I expected. I don't know
much about them as I only saw them once two years ago & they were pretty
different then anyway. The things that made a particularly strong first
impression were a couple of the songs (80's Fan & Swimming Pool) & the lead
guitarist.

There was a Sinister couple of rows at the front: Big Gay Mark, Ally, Lucy,
Carey, The Pinefox, Le Troussé, Elena, Elena's mate whose name I can't
remember, Sally, Geoff, Suzie & Richard. Also peresent were Lixi, Carsmile,
Chris & Neck Dastoor. As usual, apologies to anyone I've omitted.

Details fans may be interested in a description of Camera Obscura's
seriously solicitous soundman, who strangely received more autograph
requests than the band. Freckled arms of sex at first covered by a checked
blouson, later half revealed in a striped short-sleeved United States Postal
Service (?) shirt. Also sporting the trousers from a dinner suit with those
satin ribons down the side seams. I guess that elasticated bit at the back
of the waistband helps get the necessary proper snug fit. The ensemble
completed by Doc Martens (according to Lucy)

I hope Stuart wasn't too embarrassed humping the gear off the stage as DJ
"Chest-01" Casarotto played Electronic Rennaissance & the room jumped about.
There's Too Much Love got an airing later but I think he was safely hidden
backstage by then. I guess everyone danced all night like soul boys but I
had to leave at 1 a.m. to go home. In the car I thought about Pop Kids & so
did The Pinefox.

Strange Fruit's music policy is described as "Off-kilter indie". Ask Lucy
whether off-kilter is an adjective or a noun ;)

Love,

David Moore
Chelmsford, UK