Sinister: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8...and back 2 3 4 5 6...

Rinaldo Thatchez ryanbthat at xxx.com
Sun Mar 11 20:51:12 GMT 2001

Aahhh Steps. It is the curse of genius to be misunderstood by average minds.
Fear not, one day you will be recognized for your invaluable contribution to
the pop landscape and those tuneless hacks in Belle & Whoever will appear
only as an asterisk to your brilliant career. I know it hurts now, but
remember, praise is fleeting but you, Steps, are timeless.

I had all kinds of musical goodies to talk about here but it seems Marikka
has gone and stolen my thunder. She saw Doves on Wednesday, I saw them on
Friday (in a tough choice over Stephen Malkmus who was also in town but they
did not make me feel at all sorry). She's talking about Weezer playing in
San Francisco, well guess where I'm headed this weekend to see said band?
Damn her if she beats me to recounting all the witty stage banter to you
all.

no, i don't really mean that.

So, with those particular strings of discussion cut off, I will regale you
with stories of my dreams. It's rather rare that I remember them but last
week I had one where I was conscripted to play drums for a band in a talent
show whose regular drummer had broken his arm. As soon as I sat behind the
kit I found out why; there was a big wooden post just to the right that I
slammed my elbow into everytime I went to play the floor tom. That was the
least of my worries though. I was more concerned about playing that
reggae-ish beat in "The Tide is High". Did I mention we had to do nothing
but Blondie covers? Distressing.

Last night I had another dream in which I was on the show Survivor and I and
some of my fellow castaways decided to escape the island. We could see a
beach resort across the sea and made our way over to it, each of us floating
along in our own chest of drawers. We were heading towards the opposite
beach when one of the others (a girl I'd gone to high school with) asked me:

"Just where is that anyway?"

"I think it's Thailand."

"Well, let's not go there. Let's go to San Francisco instead."

And sure enough, if I looked to my right i could see SF, almost no farther
away. The best thing about this dream is that I now know for sure that I
dream in color, the sea was very blue and so were our unlikely vessels. Is
dreaming in color supposed to indicate anything about a person? Is it true
that some people don't? And would that be related to the state of visual
media technology? What do blind people's dreams look like?

That's all for now. Except of course to make an embarrassing confession that
only you, my list, will understand. At work the other day I listened to Fox
in the Snow four times in a row thinking that I might never hear a song so
beautiful and sad. Then The Boy Done Wrong Again came on (it was on shuffle)
and I discovered I had been wrong.

Rinaldo

SEMI-IMPORTANT MESSAGE TO LIST MEMBERS: a while back there was mention of
some listmember's breasts which were to be later posted on the body parts
page. They're not there yet I don't think but that's not important (but it's
not UN-important either). What is important is that there are now something
like 20,000 of us on here now (yippee!) but the photos page is woefully
under-representative (I think there are like 60 pictures of five different
people). Of course this is not mandatory but I think we need to be a little
more out and proud with ourselves here. Besides, I worry that Honey doesn't
have enough to do. I think it would be cool if more of us put something up
there; it doesn't even have to be you (but if you choose Dorothy Parker try
to make it a different photo), it could be a stickperson drawing, action
figure, favorite object (but if you choose a packaged beverage you should
probably not use Ribena or RedBull because certain other members have I
think got the copyright)...you get the idea. I of course plan to lead by
example. Thank you for your time.