Sinister: treble rebel

Robin Stout ppyrrjs at xxx.uk
Sat Mar 10 01:35:09 GMT 2001

The people I live with keep turning the bass up on our telly and it
annoys me a lot. You see, I've always been a fan of treble; a little
hiss and dustbin-lid sound. I think this comes from spending so
much of my life, especially when I was younger, lying in bed with
my headphones on, listening to some cloudy sounds on my tiny
radio, and holding it above my head to clear the fuzz. I'd listen to it
until I fell asleep, missing Peel saying goodnight, and the shipping
forecast, and the sound being obscured by hiss as the transmitter
moved out of line.

Neil Robertson just said...
...well, he said a lot of things that are totally fair dinkum, especially
all that about artistic integrity. Although we're always moaning about
new singles taking so long there's something special about having
to wait until a certain date before a song is released. Like waiting for
Christmas morning, or the last day of school. I heard Fold Your
Hands... before it was released and it wasn't half as exciting when it
finally came out.

Mind you, I don't think I'd place any of the live recordings I have of
any songs above the proper versions. It's just nice to listen to them
now and again, and hear the atmosphere and different hamonies,
and a luscious lot of treble and hiss.

Anyway, I don't think we can complain...

Robin x