Sinister: Remind Me Of Guitars

P F pinefox1 at xxx.com
Mon Mar 12 22:15:02 GMT 2001

Edna's busting out all over.

The other day she and I walked around what pretended
to be a roundabout. We weren't fooled. Were we?

In the distant traffic's boom.
No the traffic was near

It was a Traffic Island.

On an island with Edna, we never even mentioned 'Ocean
Pie'. I once heard a poetry editor claim that Rick
Witter had said he wanted a slice of such pie. He
(Witter) didn't, really: but note that the wilful
'error' is more gleefully memorable than the reality.

Anyway, channels had operated. Wheels had spun.
Factors were in play. If you catch my drift. And Edna
had a copy of THE PARANOIDS.

Sorry.

I mean, THE NEGATIVES.

I had expected that she and I might agree about this
one. The best LP of 2000, and all that. Even Peter
Miller thinks it better than 'Hyacinths & Thistles'.
Gosh, so do I, come to that. It doesn't contain
'!Volcana!', for one thing.

But EW was having none, no, not none, little of it.
She likes 'Vin Ordinaire'. Of all things. You'd doubt
it; you'd doubt, she exclaimed, that Lloyd could write
such a song now, and retain any self-respect.

It's a good point. But has he?

I really don't agree that 'VO' - no, let me give it
its full glory: 'Vin Ordinaire' - is as good as this
LP gets. I pointed out that 'Past Imperfect', 'That
Boy' and 'Man On The Verge' were the best cuts.

Buses roared by. The movement of the clouds was slow,
even imperceptible.

Someone, somewhere, ate a steak.

Buses, yes, police cars, fans, replica shirts.

Someone, somewhere, caught a train from Wycombe.

Edna turned to me as though in slow motion. 'Man On
The Verge', she laughed, the laughter peppering her
sentence like artillery fire, is the worst thing on
there.

We never spoke again. Like that time in the magma
club, when we had other names. You remember.

No?

No matter. We did really. Edna conceded that perhaps
she hears these things differently, for one guitar
explosion sounds much like another to her.

The sky had darkened without our noticing. Even now we
didn't notice it.

Inside, Carsmile Steve arrived in a sudden bundle.
Someone told him he was getting younger by the day.
Again.

I think she's trying to hug her soul.