Sinister: Of birds and hair

Peter Carter p.carter at xxx.uk
Thu Mar 15 16:28:43 GMT 2001

Last night I had the best time I've had in the last year I think. Me and
some friends went to a drinking competition between Bath Spa University
College (my Uni, very small) and Bath University (hugh). No-one from Bath
Uni turned up, so we stay in that bar for a while and then went back to the
pub we'd been in before, which was open till two. We played Horse, which,
for anyone who doesn't know, has the the following rules

1. Someone thinks on a number and everyone round the table takes it in turns
to say another number, each person must guess 2 numbers away from the last
guess and the person who thought of the number must tell them if it is
higher or lower. The person who guesses the number drinks two fingers of
beer.

2. While this is going on somebody is appointed 'Thumb Master' and, at any
time they choose, can put their thumb on the table. The last person to put
the same thumb on the table has to drink, anyone who puts the opposite thumb
on the table must drink two fingers.

3. Someone is appointed 'Watch Master' and, every half an hour, they must
called everyones attention to the time and everyone must drink with their
opposite hand. Anyone caught drinking with the wrong hand must drink to
fingers.

I think the only way that night could have got better is if we had played
strip Horse, and the attractive hippy girl I've had my eye on for ages had
been playing... but I guess heaven wasn't made for the living.

I had my hair cut this morning, I'm scared because I've been growing my hair
for about a year and a half and I was proud of it. Having said that, it
looks quite nice now, even though I let my friend cut it for me herself.
I'll be posting a before and after to the photographs website... so have a
look out for it. I'll probably tell everyone when they are up.

As I was walking down the road, just after having my hair cut, I saw some
dreadlocked, Badly-drawn-boy-style-hat wearing, creative studies people
looking at a bird that looked like it was probably blind. A girl with pink
hair asked if I knew the number of the RSPCA, she seemed genuinely
destressed. I was not at all surprised that it was these kind of people who
were helping the bird and it kind of gave me more faith in people. Although
a lot of people wouldn't stop to help a dying man in a road, these people
seemed to genuinely care about the bird, and not in a 'aw, isn't it cute'
kind of way. I was a little upset that, by cutting my hair, I have distanced
my self from them a little, but then I'm weird like that.

"We make computers... but we don't know how to operate computers" - 17 year
old Manila factory worker

The Happy Reaper