Sinister: but small details do matter

P F pinefox1 at xxx.com
Thu Mar 15 20:23:23 GMT 2001

ROMAN FLEUVE

Llaurra L sometimes talks about hot chocolate, which
sometimes reminds me of Proust. Isn't in vol 2 (of 3)
when he goes to live in the barracks and has chocolate
with the soldier? I have to tell you gals, the way the
soldiers love silly Marcel really rankles with me. The
way he treats the gals at the end of vol one is even
worse. I 'like' Proust and all, but I sure dislike it
too.

THE QUIET PUB WHERE WE FIRST MEET

Ally96 sometimes talks about the Visitors and wonders
why no-one else openly likes them. I know what he
means: I like them, but only in the back of my mind. I
mean, I think abstractly that I like them, but that
they're mostly not so special. BUT - this is the point
- then I play their CD again, and the first 3 tracks
never fail to excite, to move, to thrill. I'm serious
- the melancholy jaunt of 'Goldmining' with its
bravura chorus leaps; the extraordinary tumble into
the horses'-hooves rush of 'Bliss' with its backward
guitar shimmering in, its incredibly poignant chorus;
the audacious way the singer hurls himself up the
enjambement* of 'sleeping / pills', which I think is
in 'Back At My Pied-a-Terre'. These songs do buzz, do
take me along with them, wherever it is they're going
for a minute.

And frankly, the rest of the LP is pretty good too;
but I've usually managed to tie my laces by then.

[*: a tube station in London.]

TODAY I LEARNED AN IMPORTANT TRUTH ABOUT MEN

People talked about Sex & The City. I have this to say
about that programme: the obvious thing to say about
it is, 'It's pure froth and fantasy, nothing to do
with real NYC life'. But the funny thing is that when
I saw it last week, it really *did* remind me of real
NYC life.

Only the facial hair was missing, really.

That is one of two things that I have to say about
television&NewYorkCity. But they're such
*twentieth-century* topics that I'm going to bail out
of the theme now. What next, a book about How And
Where Miles Davis Recorded Kind Of Blue?

IT REMAINS UNRESOLVED

Has anyone ever thought that the gift of melody might
be genetically transmitted?

Has anyone yet bought the Lollies to serve as an Art
Pop Project once a year?

Where is Miller anyway? Not to mention Utah.

COOKIE CHALLENGE

Cookie96 once said:
>>> I felt I could almost have been seeing
the band myself. Perhaps I could have been. I was in
the city at the time (I usually am)

which I think was funny; why did nobody write and say
so?

>>> I was too distracted with dashing into
coffee-shops (houses?) looking for Nu-Yoikers. Which
Nu-Yoikers? ANY Nu-Yoikers.

I don't understand.

>>> Someone should write a song about it.

They probably have.

They?

>>> Maybe I should write a song about it. No, that
would probably be a bad idea. It would never live up
to expectations. It would never live up to
Expectations.

Oooh!

>>> As Calumn Shearer once said whilst driving down a
side-street with parked cars on either side at 60mph;
"I like a challenge". We were in pursuit of a bus.
It's a short story.

I thought this was really funny, too. Again nobody
said so. I wonder why not. Do 96's posts only get
delivered to my account or something?

>>> But Pinefox, surely YOU are a sensitive boy?
Aren't you?

I'm a fluorescence.

>>>the go-betweens. if i had to justify my love, it
wouldn't be love
You See?

No. Or rather, yes. I said all that on my Orange Juice
post weeks ago, mon.

WITHIN THESE CINEMA WALLS

About that soundtrack. Sorry there'e been no news for
a while, but things are moving again. The title has
been changed to 'A Delerious Kiss In The Dreamhouse'.
It was something else last week. It'll change again.
Mark my Cazzas. Right now I'm renegotiating with the
guitarist from Camera Obscura to play the lead stuff,
after we scrapped the stuff we had in the can by
Ally96 and Stevie Jackson. The former was too
expensive, the latter not really talented enough. This
CO guy could be the answer. This movie is going to
play big, see. It's all about the money, it's all
about the money. It's all about Cynthia Stevenson.
It's all about Louise Lasser.

I need a drink.

Marcel?