Sinister: i was puzzled by a dream

Rachel Playforth Something.Pretty at xxx.com
Sat Mar 17 05:09:15 GMT 2001

there have been a few positive comments about Beyond the Sunrise here
lately, which made me think: maybe i've been too hasty (after all, i've only
given it 6 months to grow on me).  maybe i've been playing it at the wrong
speed, or backwards, or in the wrong universe.  but no.  after extensive
experimentation it appears i was right all along and it's Turgid Crap.

speaking of fyhcywlap, it's a little known fact that the maracas/zither
scratchy percussion on Don't Leave the Light On Baby was actually made by
chris geddes unconsciously rubbing his stubbly chin, having become obsessive
about the lack of shaving facilities in the studio.

the measure of the channel 4 Teachers programme was almost certainly
accurately taken by arantxa, who as usual is so sharp, i could use her to
pierce the top of my vitamin c tablets.  but it has lodged in my mind now by
virtue of tbwtas, and i fear they've won a viewer for episode 1 at least.
who needs subliminal messages (ribena are no strangers to those, i'm
beginning to suspect) when you've got the Power of Music?

ah, i remember when i was first sinister, and it seemed like everyone who
liked b&s must be the same as me, a kindred spirit.  we were pilgrims, and
we'd sweated blood to arrive at canterbury/mecca/lourdes/glasgow.  how we
toiled to seek out tigermilk by fair means or foul... how we struggled
through the elements to find just one record shop that stocked all the
eps... how we were sure struan was speaking just to us, even if our name
wasn't lisa... and now every dumbass channel 4 executive stumbles into
virgin megastores and walks out humming away mindlessly to the music of the
spheres...  look, real tears.

big up to the york massive.  a pint of sam smiths and a Campus Fare roll
please.  one day b&s will play at fibbers and then we'll show 'em...

apropos of nothing much, i seem to have a strange phobia of bands whose
names begin with 'w'.  wheatus.  weezer.  ween.  wilco (criminally
overrated).  wheat.  they all make me think of whining, whingeing, wimping,
wetting and other dismal things.  purely a trick of phonetics (maybe), but
hard to get over.

nick horn of africa wrote:
I always think
electronic communication too fleeting, too brash, for
poetry.  Too many flickering digits to distract us.
One click and it's gone.  One click.  Poetry: an
analogue medium unsuited to digital transfer.  One
click.  Zero.

ah, but that's what they said about print when its nasty black uniformity
took over from those pretty illustrated manuscripts.  it wasn't true then
either.  one click is just a choice we make, like the choice to turn the
page.  the poetry's still there for the taking.  at, for example,
www.buzzwords.org.uk (ahem.)

road trip to cambridge tomorrow!  wahey - b&s choons to the max on the M11.
travel sweeties and the picturesque sight of 1 million cattle being
slaughtered because of foot and mouth.  try blaming SmithKlineBeecham for
that...

right, back to my guinness.

luv archel xxx

Rachel Playforth
'She may not be famous, but she's right' - Homer Simpson

For the best in new writing on the web, visit www.buzzwords.org.uk
Contact us on buzzwords at bigfoot.com