Sinister: Why in the world would anyone worry about W's?

Rinaldo Thatchez ryanbthat at xxx.com
Sun Mar 18 19:25:34 GMT 2001

Well, well, well.

I've just returned to Washington from my wee holiday in San Francisco, which
you may remember was taken to see a certain band called Weezer who seem to
have been taking a little bit of criticism from our members lately.

That's okay. I'll allow it. They are not the perfect band. They are a bit
whingy (an odd complaint for B&S fans though). They have a few too many
midtempo numbers, neither full on rockers or real ballads. The song
'Butterfly' is a little embarrassing. But what you must appreciate is that
for those of us who have a deep desire to RAWK but cannot abandon our pop
sensibilities and don't want to be made miserable or complicit in someone
else's nonconsentual mosh pit groping, they fill an important niche.

Also, a friend of mine works for Amazon.com and has looked up Rivers Cuomo's
account to see what he's buying and it is really quite touching. The entire
Beach Boys and Beatles catologs were purchased on the same day and the books
have mainly been self-help: "How to  Talk to People", "Finding Your Comfort
Zone", "How to Excel in Social Situations." Twee enough for you?

I think it was Archel who said:

apropos of nothing much, i seem to have a strange phobia of bands whose
names begin with 'w'.  wheatus.  weezer.  ween.  wilco (criminally
overrated).  wheat.  they all make me think of whining, whingeing, wimping,
wetting and other dismal things.  purely a trick of phonetics (maybe), but
hard to get over.

That is so unfair. What about WAR, the Who, Tom Waits, Wings, Warrant,
Whitesnake, Winger, the Wallflowers, Westlife, Wham!...er, I was supposed to
making a point wasn't I? Nevermind.

So now for the personal stuff for all the voyeurs. While I was in SF I was
staying with an ex-girlfriend I hadn't seen in a couple of years (a very
serious and long-term one). It went about as well as could be expected: we
had fun together, we still like each other and without having to talk about
it at all I think it was clear to both of us why we don't go out anymore.
That kind of closure I think was necessary. It was I who broke up with her
and she was very hurt. For my part everything since then it has been a
series of nothing-worth-mentionings and one utter disaster which have left
me longing for the kind of closeness that she and I had. After this weekend
though I think she feels that even for all the hurt she wouldn't want us to
still be together and I know for sure that that part of my past is something
I don't care to visit except in memory. A weekend older a weekend wiser. Why
do I tell you all this stuff?

Rinaldo, who also drank his first Dr. Pepper in many a moon at the Weezer
show