Sinister: "One sees clearly only with the heart. Anything essential is invisible to the eyes." - From 'The Little Prince' by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Jonathan Howell ojh9 at xxx.uk
Mon Mar 19 02:17:56 GMT 2001

Well

...You can picture it of course, there I was; ready to either go to bed, or
continue with my english essay, when I was struck with the sudden urge to
check my emails.  As soon as it struck I recognised it for what it was, it
was a delaying tactic.  I was neither in the mood to go to bed or to write
some more essay (though those were the only things I should be.. or even
consider doing) so my subconscious quickly came up with something else to
do.  Imagine my surprise when I found a lovely honey scented email telling
me that I could have a voice (but only if I used it wisely and was very,
very good).

Now, writing a fifteen minute email might ordinarily be a problem for me,
but when I'm trying my hardest to not write an essay (especially one due in
very soon) then this sort of thing becomes much easier.  Don't get me wrong;
of course I'll do the essay, but I still have fifteen hours, and I only need
to sleep for eight of those.  Perhaps I should mention a little about myself
(not too much now, that would be dull); I'm from Harrogate, nineteen and
studying English at Aberystwyth uni.

Indeed, another English student enraptured with Belle and Sebastian, I don't
suppose anyone will be surprised.  Having spotted the idea of many English
students being fans the other day on the list, I tried it out, mentioning
the band casually in my seminar...  I got a murmor of surprised approval
from my tutor, though the rest of the group didn't seem especially taken.

Content-ish wise>>>  I saw a girl the other day who looked very much like
she should be a devoted fan. I think it was her hair and clothes.  At the
time I was at a not too impressive surprise party for a friend, a little
bored and not entirely sober (it's a fine line). Anyway, I was a little
taken by her, and hadn't seen her before, so I commented- "I don't suppose
you know Belle and Sebastian do you, as you REALLY look like you should be a
fan".  To me of course this was a compliment, a very nice thing to say: but
I suppose that if you didn't know who Belle and Sebastian are it might seem
a little strange, worrying even.  So she just looked puzzled.  As it turned
out we live very close, so I told her that I'd like to lend her some, but,
to be honest I think she was a bit scared. I doubt that I'll see her again.
Incidently, she wore glasses too, and I think it added to her
Belle-and-Sebastianicity, they certainly suited her.

I've always wondered what happened to other people when their parents hear
the band.  My Dad is getting quite fond of them now.  He gave me a lift to
uni in september and I left FYHC in his car, he really liked it, saying it
reminded him of Simon and Garfunkle, fair enough; usually he says something
along the lines of "It is/was a little noisy" when he hears my music.  So I
recommended he try IYFS, as I personally prefer it muchly.  My Mum by
contrast came out with the most ridiculous statement "You shouldn't listen
to that sort of thing in public, people will make assumptions about your
sexuality", I just laughed at her (she also said the same thing about
reading Oscar Wilde in public) I found it very amusing that she could say
something that silly, she must be getting old.

Right then, that's all from here for now, I'd just like to say how much I've
enjoyed reading some of your posts over the last couple of weeks, and really
I have, as on the whole they're well written and funny. I'm off to fiddle
about with my newly acquired Bass guitar (which I'm getting very enthused
about at the moment, my second intrument after the beautifully cheap
didgereedoo) in order to further facilitate putting off the completion of my
English essay.

Love and such.

Jonny.