Sinister: Kathy's kisses

Ian Nicolson imnicolson at xxx.com
Fri Mar 23 13:14:06 GMT 2001

I've realised of late that sometimes my posts perhaps seem as if I'm trying
to be some kind of Scottish media correspondant, but I don't mean to,
honest. I just think that you're probably far more interested in reading
about what the papers are saying about Belle and Sebastian than me whinging
about how bored I am at work (other than the times when I'm devising what
games it would be possible to play in my building - the corridors are
perfect for either chasey or some kind of James Bond thing - or, like
yesterday, planning a musical with the work person I share a psychic link
with.) or talking about Eastenders (which even I'm getting tired of just
now). But anyways.

The current issue of The List (which you should all rush out and buy
immediately if you want to find out all the exciting things that you missed
in Edinburgh and Glasgow last week) has a couple a little things you might
be interested in. One is a review of the Glasgow Yooni gig, which, while
hardly a patch on our very own cub reporter David Howie's wonderful effort,
is quite nice and quite short, so being a generous sort (and because I'm a
sad bastard with nowt better to do. Except work) I've decided to type it
out. Here it is!

BELLE AND SEBASTIAN
Glasgow University, Wed 28 Feb
****

'You should all get a coupon to come back and see us for free once we've
rehersed', declares Stuart Murdoch at this 'election rally' to publicise the
B&S frontman's race to become Glasgow University's Rector. 200 students and
Murdoch's election rival Alasdair Gray are shoe-horned into this 'church
hall' venue for a 30-minute stagger, saunter and shuffle through the
highlights of their last LP.
The occasional stuffiness of their recorded material is eliminated here and
their serene and intricate melodies make most sense. Even a ramshakle
rendition of 'Sympathy For The Devil' cannot fail to distract from their
obvious musical skills. And he still lost the election. Politics' loss is
our gain.
(Mark Robertson)

The other thing, in the same magazine, is an interviewy bit with Stuart
David (does he still smell of wee, do we know?) and a feller called Luke
Sutherland, who used to be in a band called Long Fin Killie, who I think did
a single with Mark E Smith once, but then so has everyone. I'm not typing
that out, cause it's far too long and I'm not that generous, but there's
little bits and pieces here and there, such as Stuart D. being a big fan of
Glen Campbell ('Rhinestone Cowboy' being his first favourite song) and
hating Jamie Oliver. But that's only natural. Actually, it's not all that
interesting really. You should never have bothered reading this paragraph.
Sorry.

In Sinister related stuff I noticed, whilst perusing a Slade website in the
attempt to finish a crossword (that's a Slade website, by the way, not a
Suede one. I always get them two mixed up. I have done for years. I remember
back in the heady days of the early 90s confusing my first ever girlfriend
by talking about seeing Suede doing 'Merry Christmas Everybody' on the
telly. Maybe Suede will do that one day. Maybe they'll become a Slade
tribute band. We can only hope. But sorry, like Ronnie Corbett, I digress)
that Slade fans (not Suede fans), who are hardly known for their spelling
abilities, spell 'great/grate' 'grayt'. One can only imagine the squabbling
that would erupt if Slade fans (not Suede fans) were to gatecrash a Sinister
picnic. "It's 'A-T-E!" "No, it's A-Y-T!!" "You can stick your top hat up
your arse!!"

Aaaages ago (like, last week) Jason, the Prince of the Pickles, pondered:
>Why is everything cheap (in America) described as Scottish?

and, more recently, Archel opined:
>scotland = cheapness

It's all that Portobello bastard Harry Lauder's fault. He propogated (is
that the right word? I'm not so sure) the myth of Scots being stingy drunks
in the New World. Which just isn't true at all. We're not stingy. But ye'll
have had yer tea...

Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear. I think I should stop. But before I do,
congratulations to Jules and Mikey, neither of whom I've ever met, but I
feel they need congratulating anyway. Nice one! Isn't Sinister ace?

Bye
Ian N.