Sinister: godel's incompleteness theorem (supply your own umlaut)

Gordon gogron at xxx.uk
Fri Mar 30 12:39:56 BST 2001

Hullo.

Jules and Mike are engaging to be married: delightful news!
Mike, following an earlier thread about Welsh homework and list crushes,
or Welsh boys and dreaming of classrooms or something, mentioned
coincidences.

astrology professor

My best friend from school left our little home-town in Scotland a few
years back to work for a big posh company and is now based in Chicago.
He *flies* to work. Anyway, he was back here for Christmas and let slip
that he has been seeing this girl since last summer. This is big news
because, like me, he's 30 and this is his first proper girlfriend.
However, I didn't think to disseminate the information until this
Wednesday, when I suddenly felt the urge to mention of him and his gf to
an acquaintance. Yesterday, I get an E-mail from this friend saying he
and 'is girl are coming over to visit, *today*, before flying on to
Istanbul to meet his girl's family...!
More wedding bells on the horizon, perchance?
An anonymous benefactor has just donated £1/2M to endow a chair in
astrology at a (Scottish?) university.
I don't believe in astrology (yet) but I don't think it's hocus pocus
either. There are those who dismiss it on the grounds that 'it can't be
true because I can't understand why it could be true'. Parallel lines
intersect.

not being there is another way of being here

Carsmile and a guy from B&S mentioned the Aislers Set. I heard them on
John Peel and immediately thought 'that sounds like list like music'.
Seemingly so. Since I'm beginning to make Howard Hughes seem like a
socialite, I won't be going to any gigs. As Archel says, "included in
the places i won't be are london, glasgow and camber sands."
I'll probably get the album. Does it have breathy female vocals? I can't
remember now...
The list of locations at which neither Archel, (I make an assumption
here) nor myself, shall be in attendance, grows:

     the very first *leicester fiesta* (christened by
     Madeleine,although she doesn't yet realise it) happens this
     saturday.

says John Jennings.
Have fun all and one; one and all, and may the sun shine like it did in
San Fransisco on Thursday.

eidelweiss

Do you yodel, vodkabird?
http://www.foxhome.com/soundofmusic/est/mus/musm.html
I have a mission to get the world to yodel.

lieutenant scheisskopf

On the subject of missions, I've been reading Heller's *Catch 22* in
which the protagonist, Yossarian, is on a mission to avoid flying any
more combat missions (it's a WW2 story).

     For the past ten minutes I have been shuddering whilst visions
     of wheels slicing through my neck and my lifeblood splattering
     the filing system.

says Sarah Clarke.
There's a good splat passage in '22' as well:
Kid Sampson has just been sliced in half by a propeller of McWatt's
low-flying aeroplane:

     There was the briefest, softest *tsst!* filtering audibly
     through the shattering, overwhelming howl of the plane's
     engines, and then there were just Kid Sampson's two pale,
     skinny legs, still joined by strings somehow at the bloody
     truncated hips [...] (p.428)

covert international roach agenda

Iridescence. The word came to me after reading Elenita's description of
Bobby, the plastic cockroach.
Is bobby's blue and pink carapace a subtle allusion, by those meisters
behind the kinder-egg empire, to the spectrum of colours on a real roach
depending on the way the light is shining?
There is an artist in downtown Teheran. She has built hundreds of
cockroaches out of tin and solder then arranged them, lovingly, in her
bathroom.
It looks supercool, if a little discomfiting. Is there something about
girls and roaches to be discovered here?
Or girls and potatoes? Raskolnikoff Skinner should become a consultant
to the potato 'uses and abuses' panel. The mind boggles.

*hear'say* pt.II

     i won
     worst dressed.
     and proud, oh yes, so very proud.

     but i also won
     best hairdo!!!

says sweetie from Falkirk. Aww. You must draw a lot of attention, is all
I can say. You need an agent/manager to steer cash in the direction of
your burgeoning fame... then you'll be able to buy your very *own*
house! You won't be cajoled into sounding like *hear'say* either.
Honest.

more money

Histrianic girl says 'having pockets full of heavy coins is surprisingly
satisfying.'
Mmm... maybe I'm cash rich and bank poor, but I'm constantly trying to
lose loose change... it's too guilt-inducing to throw it in the trash
but too embarrassingly pocket-bulgy to take on my travels. There's
nothing quite so awkward as fumbling for an age in one's trouser pocket
in front of the attractive cashier at the alcoholic shop.
Anyone join me on a campaign to take 1p's and 2p's out of circulation?
Do you guys in America still have cents? I have a note of massive
denomination from the former Yugoslavia that would have rendered me a
millionaire had they not scrapped the currency days before my
acquisition of it. Boo. I'd hve put it toward's the 'red to black' art
project which is currently sponsored by my bank, and Visa international.

I'm running oot of ink and paper;
I'm *oot for lunch*:
I'll see yoo later.

Gordon