Sinister: Adventures at K-town Uni

M. Timothy Meskers areservoirdog at xxx.com
Tue May 1 00:15:46 BST 2001

This post has only got minor Belle & Sebastian content. On the B&S Content
Scale I would give it around a four, probably. And that may be generous.

This post is probably best summed up in the following sentence, if you're in
a hurry.

I went to Kutztown to visit my friend Ryan and check out the campus.

Day 1.

The first day was swell, I was tired from driving up there but there was a
festival outside. Bear Day, or something. I got a strawberry milkshake,
which was nice. I walked around the campus and thought what a beautiful day
it was. Then we hung about the dorms, until Ryan had to go home to see his
sister's play.

That was fine though; 'cause I had other friends there. And I would make
other friends to boot. There was this fellow named Woody that really amused
me. He always walked around with his hands down his pants. So did Lem. I
wondered if it was Kutztown tradition. Apparently there had been some sort
of party the night before that had gotten busted and there was a bit of a
buzz from that.

We went out to play mini-golf. I got third place, which was pretty good for
me. I am hardly an avid mini-golf player so it came to me as quite a
surprise that I actually got a hole in one on hole thirteen. I was proud.
Although I didn't want to cheer or anything like that, because I didn't know
these people too terribly well and when I tried to talk around them I got a
bit shaky and flushed so I didn't do it too much. I just watched them. They
may have been a bit unnerved by all the watching that I was doing and the
small amount of talking.

After mini-golf we went to a lovely record store called the Young Ones.
There used to be a Young Ones near me but it got shut down. There is no
correlation between the two stores. So, I found the Lost Patrol import that
I'd been searching for high and low so I was excited about that. I was
wearing a Weezer hoodie and got to talking to the girl behind the counter
about Weezer for awhile. She'd seen them too. She was very friendly but I
felt bad about talking to her because I didn't want to harass her while she
was working, even though she initiated the conversation. What a nice store.

I forget what we did after Young Ones. I may have taken a nap.

I tossed my sleeping bag on the floor that night and tried to sleep. I think
I had a conversation with Ryan after he returned from his sister's play
around midnight but I was half-asleep. If I did don't worry about it; it
can't have been that interesting.

Day 2.

So, I was needing a shave. But I forgot my razor. I should've shaved before
I left, I thought. Eh.

I went to Six Flags with the rest of the dorm and rode some rides. I said a
lot of nothing to the people I went with even though I thought they were
exciting.

When we got home I met some more interesting people. I felt really bad for
one girl in particular. She said her cramps were unusually painful this time
around. She thought that her ovary had exploded. I said ouch, and I hope you
feel better. Because I really didn't know what to say to that.

Later that night I went across and played chess with some people that I
didn't know at all. They were high but they still beat me. Lucky, that's
what they were. Back in the day I was quite the frequent chess player.
Although I think I lost a fair amount back in the day, as well.

A girl in one of the upper dorms said that she had an empty room that I
could sleep in but I didn't want to impose. I slept in Ryan's bed instead of
on the floor.

He was up until 4:15 working on a project for the next morning's class.

Day 3.

I pitched on some generic clothes. I was excited because today we went to
class. I was very keen on this idea of going to class because I could meet
new people. Ryan told me that there was a girl in the class that was wearing
a Belle & Sebastian shirt and that I should talk to her and her friends
because he knew that B&S were my favorite band. I thought it sounded like a
great idea.

So we got to class and I was keen on sharpening my social skills and making
new friends. Although when I thought about talking, I got shaky and flushed,
just like on the mini-golf course. Sometimes I'm worried that when I talk to
people that they'll think that I'm making passes at them. I didn't want the
girl to think that at all, since I really had no basis for conversation
other than that Ryan said she had a b&s shirt.

We went to the library to find pictures of grasshoppers and the girl was
there. Her and Ryan made funny insect poses and I laughed. She seemed like
she would be fun to talk to but I still didn't say anything. I was unshaven
and a bit disheveled from my late night. She may have thought that I was a
child molester.

We found some grasshopper pictures and went for coffee. On the way back to
the dorm from coffee we passed the girl but I didn't say anything again
because I didn't want her to think I was hitting on her.

At lunch I made a mess of the waffleiron and felt a bit bad for the
lunchladies.

We went to Young Ones again and I bought Up A Tree, which is what I listened
to while waiting on a parkbench outside the dorm for my mother. Everyone was
really friendly to me, although I have to admit that I regret not talking to
a lot of interesting people. I'll go back soon though, and I recommend that
everyone go there as well. It's just a nice campus.

Respectfully,

Timothy.

p.s. Sorry for using the mailing list as a diary. Just thought that someone
may be excited by my fun stories.

p.p.s. Also sorry if anyone is reading this that I talked to oncampus. I was
a bit of a tag-a-long. E-mail me if you'd like and tell me about your uni
adventures.

xoxo