Sinister: They Ought To Barricade Regent Street

P F pinefox1 at xxx.com
Tue May 1 23:56:29 BST 2001

It's the 1st of May. May Day, in fact. I thought
someone should say something.

Ignoring Ken's advice I went to Oxford Circus to see
the clowns and the riot police.

The acoustic field. The air bass of helicopters. The
whistles. The chorus of cries every 5 minutes. The
incomprehensible megaphones.

The altered sense of urban space. The rare emptiness
of Oxford Street. The shops so flagrant and welcoming,
so seductive and overpriced, for once barred and
boarded.
The cloudy sky over Regent Street's elegant facades.
It dawned on me that they *had* barricaded it.

There were a lot of police. How many? Yes, that many.

I don't know yet whether the system has been brought
down. If you hear anything overnight, let me know via
the usual tunnels.