Sinister: You'd be surprised how I wanna see you again

Alasdair Cook woolything at xxx.com
Wed May 2 23:16:52 BST 2001

DON'T LISTEN TO ME

The Pinefox a prophet? Who'd a thunk it?

I had some stuff written about ATP, then I realised that it was completely
irrelevant to anything. All I can say is thank God the go-karts weren't
running. I'm a sucker for tradition, as you know. Or maybe I'm just a
sucker. Jelly, please.

The future is, more or less, more important. Yes, really. So now we have a
picnic AND a Tigermilking to look forward to. We are truly blessed. Thank
you Mark. And Lucy. And Sally. And probably Robinson. And whoever else.

I WAS DOWN IN THE CLINIC

I was in hospital today. Why are consultants called 'Mr' instead of 'Dr'? It
makes me wary. Have they passed the necessary exams? I'd ask our resident
house doctor, but he's gone down under. He's a man at work. Anyway, a man
was sitting next to me, reading a magazine and eminating strange, excited
'huh-uh!' grunts every so often. I wondered what he could be reading to
provoke such a response. I looked across and found it was.....equestrian
weekly. Before you ask, I'm perfectly well. I'm not sure I can say the same
for the horse, though.

THE NURSE TUT-TUTS

Earlier on I'd seen a girl in a 1982 Scotland shirt. Impressive, I thought.
Then I saw her again. Stunning. Mine Wullie! Naw, mine Alan! Oh dear...

Later I saw Lloyd Cole in a charity shop. That *was* astounding. He
looked...moody. I was elated. At home I listened to 'Somewhere In China' on
mid-eighties vinyl for the first time. I think it actually sounded better.
Than the Foxgloves, I mean.

Robin said he'd applied to be a weatherman. His qualifications are notable.
But is this anything like the time he was forced into the inventing trade?
And did he invent anything? A self-writing Sinister post would be a help to
all of us. Especially, as you can see, me. Please arrange it Robin. Oh, and
make it sunny this weekend, there's a good chap. What *is* a bollard anyway?

NOW WE DON'T HAVE A COUNTRY

I've been boycotting the USA for 22 years. I'm not sure of it's noticed yet.
Perhaps in future, it'll start boycotting me.

I WANT SURPRISES

Brian said that 'Spring Rain' is a country song. I still don't understand.
Was that what Lloyd was talking about?

Youn said:

Stuart sings about Edinburgh in "I Could Be Dreaming": "I took a walk up
Castlehill".

Which I think might actually be about a place in Ayrshire. Don't quote me on
that, though. Well, you can if you want.

I HAVE A TASK

I would have joined in with Peter's Ribena strike had I known about it
sooner. Alas, too late, for today I had a Ribena ice-lollie. Which is an
achievment, given that I didn't even know they existed. I offered a young
lady a suck of my pole, which one might almost say was met with a look of
violence. But then, she's a violent girl. Not often violet; mostly ultra. I
still refuse to believe the news, btw. Only 2 religious festivals have been
written about so far; still so much to do..

I NEED TWO FEDS

I'm still waiting for the second installment of the Inspector Bobby Forster
story. Where is it?

Someone has been trying to persuade me to go and see B&S in Spain. This
seems like a good idea, until I consider that it is, in fact, not.

I think we May have seen the first day of summer. I wanted to listen to
something. It turned out that it was early Stereolab, but by then it was too
late.

STUART MURDOCH; THE RUMOURS WERE TRUE

He was doing the sound for at least half of the Hefner gig, I think. He was
doing the rounds for the rest. Someone said it was the best gig the Obscura
have ever played. I think I just about agree with him. Hayman and the lads
weren't too bad either, for a support act.

I want Belle and Sebastian to play a cover of 'You're shite and you know you
are' by The Strange Fruit Crowd vs Martin Robinson. Wicked! I think that's
enough for now.

Alasdair xx