Sinister: Living in London

David White david at xxx.uk
Thu May 3 01:22:01 BST 2001

Hello there Sinisters!

I have a request, which I hope will not be seen as list abuse, for anybody
who lives in London or knows London. I am moving down there in a few months
to work but haven't got a clue about anything, particularly when it comes to
finding a place to live. What I need is advice on which areas of London are
nice and which are, to put it politely, best avoided. I will be working at
Canary Wharf and don't want to spend more than an hour each way travelling
to work. If anybody can give me any advice on nice areas to live I'd be very
grateful (email me off list please). On the subject of London, it seems to
me that the place is crazy: terrorists, crusties, riot police and marathon
runners to name a few things that I've noticed on telly recently. It may of
course be that I've just noticed all this cos I know that I'm going to be
living there soon and that they've always been there.

Alisdair Cook said:
Stuart sings about Edinburgh in "I Could Be Dreaming": "I took a walk up
Castlehill". Which I think might actually be about a place in Ayrshire.
Don't quote me on that, though. Well, you can if you want.

Which brought back childhood memories. If I remember right Stuart is from
Alloway, which is near Ayr, and I vaguely remember from my younger days that
there is an area in Ayr called Castlehill which is within walking distance
of Alloway, hence the lyric. I could be wrong of course!

That's taken about 15 minutes so I'll get my coat.

David White
david at belleandsebastian.freeserve.co.uk

regular news and site updates by emailing:
belleandsebastian-subscribe at listbot.com