Sinister: Apologies

David Howie howied41 at xxx.com
Thu May 3 21:10:47 BST 2001

Subject: Apology

I reckon I owe a couple (if not three, possibly four) apologies to various
people all connected with Sinister, so if you’ll allow me I will make them
and be on my way.  Humbled.  The order of my apologies is in no way
representative of the relative importance of the respective apologies merely
a signal of which apology comes to mind first.  Well, first: Danny.  I guess
I owe you a pretty big apology for my utterly disrespectful and unwelcoming
e-mail.  I guess I should point out its flaws and say sorry.

1.  My introduction served merely to justify my little rant to myself by
disguising it as a “gentle chiding”.  Pah.  You are totally correct in using
inverted commas in your riposte; my e-mail was no more a gentle chiding than
Hitler’s tousmache was attractive.  You are entirely correct in pointing out
the subjective nature of my use of the term.  And I apologise, it was a mask
behind which you obviously seen.  The first e-mail you sent to the list
should have been welcomed with open-arms (I know I feel sad when I see
peoples’ first posts go by unnoticed).  That’s not what sinister is about;
my take on it is that we’re a community (however, not in the Amon Duul 1
sense of the word) and that we should be civil and welcoming (but not to the
point of Christianity – “The only thing wrong with Heaven is that its full
of Christians”, Atheist, 4:19).

2.  My pompous declaration that your description of the 13th note was an
inferior piece of description was totally arrogant and self-adulating
(self-serving?)  I think that it wasn’t meant as totally sincere but I can
see how it came across as pompous, and I guess at heart it was
verbosity-as-showing-off.  Sorry.  Such verbal wankery I shall leave to
proggers from now on.  I even reckon my comments about being Sinister Junior
Reporter were implicitly “Ha ha, I’ve been here longer than you; you’ll
never reach my status”.  I feel so ashamed.  Sorry.  I guess I can be a
little smug at times.  I am sincerely sorry; and would not blame honey is
she stripped me of the post as it would be deserved.

3.  My comments on Camera Obscura were unjustified as well seeing that I’ve
only heard three of their songs; as were my comments on Baxendale (“although
quite why you’d want to”).  However, I do stand by my opinion that they
don’t sound that much like B&S (more like Felt, High Llamas, Idlewild at
their poppiest perhaps) but that is no excuse for jumping on your comments;
thus, I apologise, again.  Again, my comments regarding Hefner were
ego-serving and arrogant.  Sorry.

4.  I guess I just felt threatened and when threatened Male persons (or
possibly just me) tend to retreat and show their fangs.  You are the first
person I really ‘know’ on sinister (as if anyone can really ‘know’ anyone
but that’s a whole other discussion – and probably apology); and I guess I,
sorry I know, that I wanted to assert my membership upon you without
appearing too much of a prat to sinister (hence the “gentle chiding”
disclaimer).  I know that those feelings were silly and irrational; and I’d
like to welcome you to sinister (God, I sound like a Scientologist).

5.  Friends?  Please?

Now, I said I had some other apologies didn’t I.  Well, the first is to
Sinister itself.  I apologise for writing such a self-indulgent mail and I’m
sorry you had to read it.  I know sinister is about… Well, what is sinister
about?  Certainly not anything contained in my bellicose e-mail.  I know
saying sorry may not be good enough; but I hope that you’re as forgiving as
you are nice.

Third apology: Honey.  My handling of the whole e-mail address, although not
bellicose, was dithery and dozy and transformed a two minute job into a 7 or
8 e-mail job.  I guess I’m just a bit slow sometimes, and if some of my
e-mails appeared abrupt or irate then I’m sorry.  I wasn’t irate but I can
see how it might have come across that way; sorry Paul (and Linda).

Fourthly?  Mathematics?  It seems I am unable to count.  I guess I’ve said
all I can say on this subject; I apologise.

Now onto the subject that we’re here to discuss: anything.  No, only
kidding.  Belle & Sebastian.  I too am absolutely delighted that they're
releasing Middle Distance Runner (told you so, teehee).  I've never heard it
live but I did hear it on the tube when they played it and it does contain
the best guitar fill ever, no?  Do you think that Paper Boat is amazing,
Danny?  I think its Stuart David’s songs (for B&S) I’m not sure about them
(see: Winter Wooskie, Seymour Stein).  I’ve heard Poupee De Cire… on a nasty
thirtieth generation mp3 or something; but it is still pretty good.  I agree
Isobel is pretty damn perfect; oh, and on the song.  I think it’s the
paranoid strings (guitars?) that tend to scare people to the quick.  Very
Forever Changes-era Love.

Anyways.  That’s my fifteen minutes.

Thank you,

David.

PS Danny if you want to talk or anything (about music, anything) just
e-mail, please.

PPS  My new sinister reporter e-mail address (dependent upon whether I get
to keep the tag) is sinreporter at missprint.org  Report all your sins to me.
:)

PPPS  Should I send the lyrics of “Take Your…” and “Big John Shaft” to the
list?  Neil?