Sinister: Within A Year A Walker

P F pinefox1 at xxx.com
Sat May 5 11:19:28 BST 2001

I saw Gail Porter in OK! the other day and was
reminded of B&S. I pondered this and thought, maybe
she reminds me of Campbell (I). GP is 30. That article
said IC was 24. It did, didn't it? That really got me.
If true, it must mean she was born in, say, 1976; was
only 19 or so when Tigermilk came out; is only, well,
2 years older than Alasdair Cook. Surely the
house-owning Isobel Campbell cannot be only two years
older than the wee bairn Alasdair Cook. That just
doesn't computer.

I have heard rumours that the lad Cook - who is never
referred to as 'the Cook' - is in London. 'I Need Two
Feds' was best sinister joke in ages. Mainstream is a
masterpiece by other artists' standards. She's a
weathergirl. And this is the rain.

Yesterday was the third anniversary of the first
sinister picnic. And you know what *that* means.

I occasionally dream that fanzine editors are mayor of
London. But in fact, Ken Livingstone has been mayor of
London for a year or so. The implications of this are
evidently immense. Today a Protest Vs Ken's Leadership
Of London event is taking place in Sydney Bay. Make it
if you can. PVKLOL is looking to build into a critical
mass during the hours ahead, before collapsing.

I also saw in OK! that Gwyneth Paltrow sang 20 songs
with Sheryl Crow in NYC. Perhaps it was a concept
album.

Miller mentioned The Squeeze. You have to be careful,
geezer, there are a lot of low-flying fans of The
Squeeze out there. You can bang on about the merits of
'Another Nail In My Heart' vs 'Labelled With Love', or
'Is That Love?' vs 'If It's Love', for hours. It won't
save you. 'Melody Motel', that was a good one, all
about Boss Cat. I could go on and on in this vain, I
mean, vein, believe me.

Has anyone found David Lacey's list of favourite LPs,
I mean, 45s, I mean, Records yet?