Sinister: My photographic memory ran out of film today

Laura Llew lleweth at xxx.com
Sat May 5 13:55:52 BST 2001

I've never been to a B&S show before. I'll have to add that to my "To Do"
list, right 'under George Dickie.

Mm, Two sentences and I'm already talking about illicit affairs with list
members.
Watch out, kids - Laura Llew has returned!

Yes, I'm back from New York where I even went on a scenic tour of Long
Island. That was at least a good fifteen minutes of my trip. After that, I
had to resort to other diversions to find out what else the place had to
offer. They're always saying how big Southerners are on Ice Tea but I must
confess that Long Island does have one up on us there -- hehe. I did finally
get to see one of these cute Sinister boys which everyone on here keeps
talking about and in a cozy bookshop too.

Mystic Matthew Henderson harped,
"Are there any sinisters in Mobile, Alabama? Or anywhere in the South? If
so, shoot me an e-mail. We could have our own picnic, although something
tells me it would be populated by mosquitos and ants, but sometimes
mosquitos can be quite friendly."

Well, I'll be! Shucks, I could practically taste the warm beer and hear the
melodic hum of the bug zapper as I read that one. I was at the last Southern
picnic and I can attest to the fact that there were no mosquitoes in
attendance. Of course, there wasn't really anyone, besides me sitting on a
blanket eating a peanut butter & (strawberry) jelly sandwich while reading a
tattered copy of Gravity's Rainbow. Some bikers did show up to talk. I was
going to take a picture of them but was too afraid they'd hurt me (they were
wearing lots of leather!). So, I just got a picture looking out at the
mountains from where I was at Big Witch Gap on the Blue Ridge Parkway by the
Tennessee & NC border. It was on the list's 3rd birthday and I suppose I
shall have another
one this summer. My dog, Penny, has already promised me she wouldn't make me
be the only one there this time. Her only demand is there would be no
Pynchon involved since she says no one reads him, they just *try* to. I
quickly debated this point. Though I haven't finished GR (and am planning to
develop a support group for others who have started to read this novel &
never finished. I know that Pinefox & Paul Field are in. Anyone else?), I do
love the Introduction to his collection of early stories, Slow Learner. She
is of the opinion that this doesn't count because it is the only time he
sounds lucid and writes as a normal person would. I am of the opinion that
my dogs shouldn't be talking to me of their theories and would those green
little gnomes who are dancing the cha-cha on her tail as they argue as to
whether Ricky Ricardo was Cuban or not please stop singing drunken melodies.

           ******TRANSATLANTIC MIX TAPE CHALLENGE 2001******
                      (you can still enter!)
Well, I have purchased a mix tape holder for the sole purpose of holding
entries and it is slowly but surely filling up. I knew something was awry
when I first saw the tape cover of Rachel Walther's entry. I don't know what
that girl was thinking but that is not a mix tape she sent. This contest
isn't where it belongs either. Rather, that work of sound drama brilliance
should be in some kind of modern art museum somewhere. Damn girl!
I also must warn y'all that I once developed a crush on a boy simply for
buying a Dorothy Parker volume of poetry. Make an ace tape and there's no
telling what will happen. Unfortunately, I didn't warn Jer before he sent me
his great tape. Since I put it in the deck, I've had trouble with even the
though of taking it out. It's such a wonderful mix of tunes which never
fails to make me incredibly happy. Oh! I would have never thought of putting
the songs on there in that order, yet they seem meant to be where they are.
Genius!

I woke up before six this morning so I could watch the sunrise and read
poetry before work started (While I'm giving you ammunition I might as well
add that I've also been listening to an extreme amount of Patsy Cline for
the last two weeks too so feel free to mock me since everyone else around me
has been). So, hold on, Walty baby, I'm a coming...

Loafe with me on the grass
loose the stop from your throat,
Not words, not music or rhyme I want
not custom or lecture, not even the best,
Only the lull I like, the hum of your valved voice
--Walt Whitman, an American, one of the roughs, a kosmos

I do believe I've fallen in love again. At least this time, the dead poet is
male.

Laura

'meeting all, except for Mark "here's the leather suit while I light the
fire & get the snakes" Cassarotto, of your Laura Llew needs since 1977'

PS- Vel, who I've been thinking of lot lately and yet still don't e-mail,
finally got the package! Yay! Let's see, that was four months after I sent
it to congratulate her on her graduation ceremony which happened how many
years after she graduated? I think the theme for that one was "delayed." At
least, I can now stop using such vile language each time I pass the postal
office. I must confess I'm a sucker for sending themed packages. Primitive
Painter, who makes the best packages EVER, is going to get one soon named
"Genius or Madman". Fitting? Yes! Ahaha.
PPS - I'm sorry to everyone who I haven't had a chance to write back to yet.
(Of course, I apologize even more to those who have heard from me). It
hasn't anything to do with that new Voo Doo kit I picked up either. Though
if you send me a lock of hair, I would appreciate it. Thanks, you're a doll!
PPPS - Welcome back to *THE* Jimmy G! Yes, he hasn't posted yet but I know
from secret sources that he has rejoined the list. Ya know, he *is* the
reason I even discovered my Dorothy Parker when he said to me, "Laura, it's
not as if I expect you to be Dorothy Parker." This is a good thing too. I
can fake a lot of things but a New York accent and wit isn't one of them.