Sinister: Brooklyn Is Mine, It Owes Me a Living

Brian Pennington cellophanesky at xxx.com
Sat May 5 16:27:48 BST 2001

Well now....

	Good morning, Sinister! I was awoken from golden slumbers by a
gentle rapping upon my door, and lo! it was my landlord. Obviously being
overjoyed at being woken up by my landlord at 10 AM on a Saturday, it
also bears the added benefit of giving me a few hours I wouldn't have
normally had to catch up on my Sinister mail, as I would probably still
be asleep otherwise.

	I'm getting quite jealous of Londontown, hearing about all the
dancing events and such. However, May and June seem to be shaping up
beautifully for New York. May 27th is a Morrissey tribute night at Don
Hill's. Anyone else going? Contact me if so. Apparently Andy Rourke and
Mike Joyce's current band will be playing (the former rhythm section of
the Smiths for those not known to memorize such ephemera) and there will
be records spun, and likely dancing by Morrissey-obsessive bedsit
miserabilist-types.

	Just last night I was at the loudest show I have thus far
encountered. It was fantastically surreal on so many levels. Mainly due
to the venue, the Polish-American Home, which is I guess a large
structure where various Polish-related social events are held and where
Polish men go to drink sometimes. Anyway  this place was the size of a
concert venue but it felt more like a high school dance, aside from the
9' paintings on either side of the rooms. I didn't get a good look at
them, but I wager they were Polish figures of some repute. There was a
spinning disco ball, and when I first got there everyone was sitting on
chairs on either side of the room. But there was a bar so that's not
much like a school dance I suppose. Regardless the organizers felt it
would be good to crank the amps and PAs up to eleven apparently, and we
were all assaulted by rock. In a good way. Pleasantly assaulted by rock.

	So May is off on a good note, and I have Stars and Clientele shows
to look forward to, among other asundry goodies. I started a new job
this month as well. I'm a receptionist and it's all office-type work. I
feel myself humming Pocketbook Angel. I'd hum a less obscure B&S song if
they had any other ones about office work. I am sad though because I
don't get an internet connection and so cannot read Sinister mail all
day. When I could do that at work, Sinister mail was far more exciting.
Everything is more exciting when in stark contrast to the tedium of the
working week. But they let me play video games on my laptop and read
lots of novels, so I can't complain really.

	Things to look forward to in May and June...oh yeah, Belle &
Sebastian. So I read on Jeepster dot com that Jonathan David was sung by
Stevie. So all that speculation about Struan and religion is a bit
premature. I am just curious, though, why is it Stevie's songs are
always the singles? Is this a new trend? it seems a bit unfair though as
Stuart writes a lot more songs. The singles to songs ratio is far
overbalanced in Stevie's direction. I can't really speculate as I
haven't heard Jonathan David, but I can hardly imagine it being better
than Loneliness of the Middle Distance Runner, which is not only a
favorite of mine but seemingly everyone who's coming out of the woodwork
to comment on it. It's one of those hype things where its being
unavailable for so long gives it an odd mystique, like Tigermilk.

	Lastly, David Howie offered to post the lyrics to Take Your
Carriage Clock... which struck me as a bit odd, considering it's an
instrumental. Would it be appropriate to articulate the harmonica bit?
Vwah vwah vwahhhh, etc. And also Alasdair Cook seemed to doubt that
Spring Rain was a country song. Is this a popular opinion to be held? It
always had a distinctly country vibe to me, and I was born in the part
of the land where they make dobros so i think I have some credentials.
When Stephin Merritt wrote "I also have a dobro / made in some mountain
range / sounds like a mountain range to me," he was talking about my
homeland. Well, the general region anyway. And on that note I shall take
my leave.
Brian Pennington | cellophanesky at mac.com | AIM: aVespertineDream
Semi-regular observations: <http://mcmcmc.scribble.nu>
the Cellophane Sky: <http://www.mp3.com/thecellophanesky/>
Sandcastle Records: <http://www.indiepages.com/sandcastle/>
"Better a tear of truth than smiling lies." - Duncan Browne