Sinister: Hogshead Revisited

Mark Hester mark_e_hester at xxx.com
Sun May 6 18:40:01 BST 2001

Assalaamu alaykoom!

The Oxford Sinister Short-arse here, avec Picnic Report.  Woo!  The first
picnic of 2001, and boy it was a corker!  Not only because of the presence
of Honey & Linda, not only because I met so many new people, but also
because it was followed by the brilliant Tigermilking.  What an amazing
selection of music - I never expected all those TV themes (snooker, Scooby
Doo, the A-Team) and I was surprised to discover that my Mum's favourite,
David "Hutch" Soul's "Don't Give Up on Us Baby" had been treated so kindly
by the passage of time.  Well done Chris, Kevan, Mark, Lucy and (?) and
sorry (?) for not knowing who you are.  David Strange Strange showed an
uncanny knack for knowing when the next b&s record would be played, too!

Highlights of the day included:

Peter Carter and Hannah Brown exchanging views on the merits (or otherwise)
of the St****p****cs.

Spotting Graham Coxon and Finley Quaye outside the Hogshead, together with
some bloke with star quality but who Sold Hannah A T-shirt So He Couldn't Be
That Famous Could He?

Carey's whistle blowing.

The Pinefox's colour-coordinated hat/jumper ensemble.

The Robsta's dancing.

Rip van Phil Two.

Discovering that Robert Smith is a North London Lad who name-checked Barnet
and Tottenham.  It's not really that scary, Sophie.  Honest.

Apologies to:

Mark C for saying I'd play football and then disappearing to the toilet.
Never thought to use this ruse to get out of P.E. when I was a nipper, but
then the school loos weren't one and half miles away at the bottom of a
steep hill.

Thanks to:

David "Mogwai" Moore for the sweets - yum!

Lucy "it's got to be Gordons" Alder for general organisation & motivation
and for playing Mint Royale featuring Lauren Laverne - superb.

Liz "not short" Daplyn for pointing out that it was *much* better to get the
Blue Bus back to Oxford than the Red Bus coz More Night Buses Go To
Trafalgar Square Than Victoria!

If we have seen further, it is by Standing on the Shoulders of Big Stu.

Ma assalaameh,
mArk.