Sinister: on canvassing random passersby in regards to the Prozac-ish nature of the Sinister mailing list

kmhyde at xxx.edu kmhyde at xxx.edu
Mon May 7 05:59:21 BST 2001

Scene: the last day of classes at the college

dramatis personae: me, my friend who may or may not have
also been drunk. we were on a bench in the center of campus.

I decided, after quite a few vodka tonics, that Sinister,
on the whole, makes me quite happy. It's not like I often
think about the emotionally affective tendencies of mailing
lists, but as implied before, I was drunk. I took action.
I was sitting on a bench with my friend, and i started
(politely) asking passing students if they would answer
some questions. here are some of the exchanges I initiated,
pretty much verbatim:

me: Hi, what do you think of Sinister?

cute girl: ummm, the band?

me: no, it's a mailing list. about belle and sebastian.

cute girl: who? i thought you meant twisted sister, and
were just abbreviating the name.

me: no, I would never do that. abbreviate, or listen to
that band I mean

cute girl: oh. I liked them. (turns and walks away.
insouciant coquetry forever ruptured)

second group

me: hey, what about that Sinister, huh?

group of burly frat-boy types: what? are you hitting on us?

me: (hurriedly, so as not to be beaten fiercely) no, not at
all. i just thought i'd ask your opinion. you know, free
and open discussion.

group: weird. you're sure you're not gay? cos, the only
people we know who do that kind of thing are.

me: do what? ask questions?

group: (mumbled swears, veiled threats, nervous laughter)
whatever. freak.

it was a great day. i felt mildly alive. i exhort all of
you to try it, but i would advise against doing so without
becoming entirely inebriated. as in, if I were to slit your
wrists, I could easily pour the sluicing blood into a glass
and enjoy a Hemoglobin Mary. yes, that drunk.

Kevin