Sinister: a black fox fable (delete if you dont like twee stories)

Jules Markham littleblackfox at xxx.com
Tue May 8 23:13:00 BST 2001

Karma was sulking, and the Black Fox had no idea why. She had tried tickling
him, but that barely raised a smile. She tried offering him a biscuit, but
he munched it so sadly that it brought a tear to her eye. She even wrapped
him up in his favourite tartan scarf, the fuzzy, itchy one that he thought
made him look bohemian. But he just buried his nose in the fabric and
sniffed to himself. She watched as he slid deeper into his spirit ditch.
~What's the matter?
Karma looked up at her.
-Nothing, he sighed heavily.
~What's the matter?
Karma shook his head.
-Nothing.
The fox clenched her teeth.
~I'm going to keep asking until you tell me.
Karma whimpered.
-I don't like me, he said finally.
The Black Fox was thrown by the bluntness of his statement.
~Why?
-Well... I'm cynical, I'm suspicious, I'm forgetful... I'm clingy... I don't
like me.
~You're not that cynical. So what if you forget things?
Karma shrugged.
~Since when have you not liked you?
-Always. It's just... worse than usual.
The black fox straightened his scarf gently.
~Did I ever tell you about the reasonable fleas?
Karma shook his head.
~There was this dog, and he had fleas. He was grouchy because of these
fleas, which was a shame. There wasn't many of them, and they travelled over
his body cleaning his fur of dirt and seeds and so on. They were reasonable
fleas, you see. It was only fair.
The Black Fox licked Karma's ear.
~But the dog didnt notice this, and decided to get rid of these fleas. He
went to the park and jumped into the river, and the fleas were washed away.
He climbed out of the water and ran around, finally free of his fleas. He
rolled around in the grass and splashed in the mud and finally went home. He
curled up in a corner of the garden and went to sleep.
When morning caem, the dog was nowhere to be seen. His owners searched the
house for him, then searched the garden, but he had vanished.
-So where was he? Karma pricked his ears up.
~The dog was in the garden. All that grass and mud he'd rolled in got caught
up in his fur and, since there were no reasonable fleas to clear the seeds
away, sprouted overnight. The dog had grass growing all over him, and looked
like any other part of the garden. Finally he woke up and wandered into the
house, trailing grass and mud all over the kitchen and scaring hell out of
his owners.
Karma sniggered.
-What happened?
~Well, the dog couldn't roll around in the grass after that. And if he did,
they'd give him a bath, and comb all his fur out, which he hated.
-What about the fleas?
The Black Fox flashed a funny little smile.
~Someone happened upon them...
She flicked her tail amiably.
~Just because there are things about yourself that you don't like, it
doesn't mean they're not important. They're a part of you. And I like you.
Karma blushed bright orange and smiled.