Sinister: the us tour

marikka ettirgam at xxx.com
Sat May 12 06:18:07 BST 2001

yes, i am home on a friday night and for many reasons
really.  first, there is nowhere to go in this horrid
little valley town.  well, it isn't horrid really, it
just doesn't have anything to recommend it other than
it was where pavement, the band not the road material,
originated.  second, it is hot.  not as bad as a
couple of days ago, but still rather hot for someone
who was being rained on last year in connecticut.
third, it is much more affordable for me, as i start
to plan my extravagant journey to england for next
spring, to simply drink in the comfort of my
apartment.  also, i don't have to deal with anyone
pinching my ass, which is nice on occasion, but in the
heat is just obnoxious.

anyway, while being terribly bored and remembering
that i have to wake up early on sunday for radiohead
tickets as my computer was too slow yesterday for the
presale, i was looking for anything of interest on
mtv.com.  so, i decided to test the webpage.  they
advertise that it lists new and obscure bands, but i
thought, "could it really?"  it surprised me by
mentioning the kings of convenience, so i thought
maybe there is something fabulous on belle and
sebastian.  and this is what i read:

"Scottish collective Belle and Sebastian are planning
to release two EPs before the end of the summer and
have a tour planned for later this year.

The first, Jonathan David, is slated for a June 12
release, according to a Matador Records spokesperson,
and comprises the previously unreleased songs "Take
Your Carriage Clock and Shove It," "The Loneliness of
a Middle Distance Runner" and the title track, sung by
guitarist Stevie Jackson. The EP's cover will feature
a photo of trumpeter/bassist Mick Cooke taken by
singer/guitarist Stuart Murdoch.

A video for "Jonathan David" is likely to be shot in
the band's hometown of Glasgow May 19 and 20, the
group's U.K. spokesperson said. In the meantime, the
band is considering a director for the clip.

No title, track listing or release date has been set
for the second EP.

A Stateside visit for the indie icons is in the works
for late summer or early autumn. Although an itinerary
hasn't been finalized, the U.K. spokesperson expects
all the shows will take place on the West Coast."

the pieces of great interest are the video being
filmed in glasgow on particular days, and much more
exciting the west coast tour.  ah, we are finally
getting the respect we have so long been denied.  the
good old west coast.  west coasts are in general
fabulous because they are in general the advancing
coastlines, this is coming from a geologist mind you.
but still, i'd rather have an earthquake than a
hurricane.  the shifting of rocks and magma is grand.
although storms are interesting, they lack that flare
that earthquakes have.  the earth shakes and for a
moment your thoughts actually shift to the china in
the cupboard and whether your house meets the state
code.  of course, the eastern coast of japan has to be
pretty awesome too, i mean it's almost on a subduction
zone.  anyway, i doubt people care about this or that
i am now going to read an edith wharton novel for
pleasure.  take care kids.

marikka.