Sinister: Mediocrity

Danny Farrell farrell_danny at xxx.com
Sat May 12 17:33:06 BST 2001

I just read the mail regarding the league against toploader and it seems
like a pretty good time to go into my rant on mediocrity so everyone can
turn off now :)

I was sitting in my house with a few friends last night and one of them said
that shed seven tickets were on sale now for October and for some reason
they seemed to get all excited, "Oh man shed seven man, they've got disco
down man". I happened to mention that panic by the smiths is so much better
anti-disco song and although they admitted the goodity of the smiths they
wouldn't believe it was better than disco down. It seems really puzzling how
bands with a few pretty good, at best, songs get to be so popular in "indie"
circles.

As Heller said "some people are born to mediocrity, some people achieve
mediocrity and some people have mediocrity thrust upon them". it seems very
apt for bands like Shed7, toploader et al.

Oh yeh and Feeder too, i went to see Feeder on the condition that ppl would
go to see hefner with me and they were dire. Hard guitars, terrible lyrics,
no heart.

Contrast that with Belle and Sebastian's excellence and it becomes even
harder to understand. I've actually been banned from saying hefner was
better than Feeder and that B&S will be better because "theres no way that
poofy music can be better than Feeder"

Anyway, is there going to be some sort of meet b4 the B&S gigs at Glasgow, i
remember the idea of a Kelvingrove picnic being banded about, so what was
eventually decided?

Sorry for annoying people with my rant :(

Well if that is really music i dont want it in my world

Danny xxxx