Sinister: the land of the long white cloud

Lawrence Mikkelsen mikelsen at xxx.nz
Sat May 12 22:19:53 BST 2001

Hello folks

**NEW ZEALAND MUSIC MONTH**
It is this, now. Supposedly New Zealand music is the best it has ever been,
according to "people in the New Zealand music industry", which is funny,
because I'd thought it was terrible. Basically, NZ is now capable of
producing "mainstream alternative rock acts" who don't really sound
indigenous (in the way The Clean, or The Sneaky Feelings or The Chills did),
but who nonetheless sell well and have singles in the charts. It makes me
sad, 'cause I have friends in a couple of really amazing bands and they
can't get any interest from labels. (sigh)

Speaking of which, it is time for me to set the record straight.

**TRUEBLISS**
"Who?" you ask. "Truebliss" I reply, not really clarifying the situation.
Right, you've all heard of Hear'say (unless you are a deaf mute from Mars)
And according to the PR, the UK "Popstars" series was based on an Australian
concept, which spawned a band called Bardot. (Who stalled outside the UK top
40, and whose debut album can be found for $5.00 or under in any budget CD
store across this beautiful land ....)

Anyway, what not many people know is that Bardot themselves were actually
based on a New Zealand version of the show, which screened in '99, and
spawned a 5 piece girl band called Truebliss. Who, of course, were just as
crap as Bardot and Hear'say. But the point is, I think they must be given
credit.

TRUEBLISS WERE THE FIRST MANUFACTURED POP BAND TO BE MADE INTO A TV SHOW
(Discounting The Monkees)

There, OK, I've given them credit. On to other things.

**JEALOUSY**
I am, of course, extremely jealous of all the people being able to see B&S
soon. If I weren't getting married in six months, I'd be over there in a
shot. But I hope you all enjoy it, as I stay at home by myself (sigh)

**NEW SINGLE ARTWORK**
Is this anywhere else apart from a place where I would have to sign up for a
Spanish B&S mailing list? Can someone else host it in a more convenient
place? And why is Spain such a hip indie place all of a sudden? I loved
Barcelona when I was there in '98, but the only record stores I could find
were ones which sold Dance music. But maybe I was wandering around the wrong
alleyways.

**NEW ZEALANDER'S AHOY!**
I met up with Sean Hopson from London last Sunday. it was nice actually
meeting another listee in the flesh. We climbed Mt Eden to watch the sun
set, and had a crap meal and my girlfriend's sister's boyfriend's place. I
like showing people around Auckland ......
*DAVID CLARK*
is a new listee from New Zealand. I mailed him last week, as there are only
three of us in the country and I thought it would be nice to acquaint myself
with him. But I have heard *nothing*, so perhaps my reputation precedes me.
David, I am a nice fellow in a stable relationship with a girl and am not an
internet sex predator who joins mailing lists to meet young boys, if that is
what you are thinking. (And hopefully, of course, that wasn't what you were
thinking ....) So e-mail me please .....
(sorry, listees, for this blatant e-mail abuse)

**REM**
"Reveal" sure is great for a band who have been "at it" for 20 years, and
who are up to their 12th album. Cheers Buck/Mills/Stipe

Righto, off to commit various deeds.

word

Lawrence Mikkelsen