Sinister: I know you're 45, but you look 23

P F pinefox1 at xxx.com
Sun May 13 21:50:28 BST 2001

This is no time for deep breaths.

Lou Reed didn't say that.

96 will find this hard to believe, but I am listening
to 'Part Company'. Really.

96 found it hard to believe that we conceded that
penalty to Switzerland (converted). 96, for that
matter, probably found strange the way that the ball
'bobbled' as McAllister (old version) headed up to it
on the way to strike.

Enough about 96 already. I mean, soon. There are
people who Come Home From Work and, rather than saving
their monies, listen to MBV's 'Soon'. That's what I
heard.

The thing is, people keep banging on about 'Soon' -
and I am not sure - honestly, I am not quite sure, I'm
only guessing - which track we're talking about.

Look, I like 'Soon'. I don't even know for sure which
one it is, but I like *all* of Loveless, so I have
nothing to lose but my pains.

I seem to be listening to 'That Way'. This is a slight
disappointment. No, hang on, I hear Elvis & Burt come
from somewhere. One day, will I get round to writing
something about the magnificence of EC and BB's
collaboration? I hope so. If I don't manage it, can
someone else fill in?

Another thing is that this am I got up and - no, this
was *before* I'd got up - I stuck on THE CHARM OF THE
HIGHWAY STRIP again. I still don't think I have fully
Reported Back (right?) on that LP. Will I ever? I hope
so; if only to my Recording Angel. Auctioneer (Another
Engineer).

Put it this way: naturally I stand by what I said re
'Long Vermont Roads'. But I need to go into more
detail. That track - goodness knows, it's *old*, I
know that - we have to talk more about that track.

I haven't time to talk about David Thomson this time.
I note from the Archives that my editor has not been
reading the Archives - otherwise why tell me about DT
on Cary Grant, when I'd already said it in the
Archives?

But I have surely to have time to talk about My
Editor, and the jig I imagined him dancing at around,
um, 4:38 yesterday. To him, let me say, if he's
reading this (but why would she be reading this?):
congratulations - and also, celebrations. You don't
know how happy I was for you.

You do?

Oh.

Listen, I was so happy I went out and saw stars, in
the six o'clock sky. I don't mean that literally.

I'm writing on a beermat now, Cookie. Does that help?

A '"mouse" pad'.

There is so much to say. I want to revive the old
Edward Gorey debate, for one thing. Did you know he
illustrated Old Possum's Cat book? Back in 1982. Am I
getting off the beaten cat here?

I mean, let's get down to copper cats, I mean, brass
tacks. There was a birthday yesterday - yes, someone
has been something Since Yesterday - and it was barely
registered on The B&S Mailing List. I can allude to
it, gesturing at the limits of the unrepresentable.
But we know what I mean. Don't we? He went to an
Indian, and sent me smoke signals. I know his public
code.

But there is so much to say. I found the
ilovelarrythefrog at yahoo.com address so absurd that I
must mail it. I did, and received a reply! I don't
know, these frogs. They don't like it up 'em. They
don't like the meat. They don't like our sausages.

I must talk more with, or about, M I Winship. He's a
bright character, and the *only* one to talk about the
storm the other night. I mean, talk about Thunder &
Lightning - and he did. I woke up and thought, this is
the loudest sound.

I have not said as much as I would have liked to. Some
people talked about 'mediocrity', and generalized too
much. I think if I was going to discusss 'mediocrity',
I would rather talk to that mysterious bearded
character I met at the picnic the other week, who
would probably have something stupid to say about
emotional machine music. I can say this, I know he's
not reading it.

Oh. Sorry.

I worried when the Care Bear said she was going to buy
the Sugababes LP. Note how I say 'the Sugababes LP' as
though I know what I'm talking about. Is there such a
thing? Do 'LPs' still exist? I don't know. In this
instance, I don't really care. I worried, when I'd got
myself together, girl, and thought about it.

Recommendations. 'The Boy In The Bubble', of course.
You'll find it hard to beat 'The Boy In The Bubble'. I
have a feeling that my old partner in prime 96 would
agree with me, if he knew what I was talking about. If
he would read what I wrote. Does he? We don't know.
Are we going to find out? Are we going out? Only Ricky
Ross knows, and he's not telling.

This reminds me, somehow: where is the Soul of
Sinister nowadays? He knows I mean him. We used to
sing Curtis Mayfield covers in the back of that bus,
you know.

But this time, somehow, it doesn't seem enough.

I saw a man who looked like Charles Laughton the other
day.